PayPal decided to "permanently" close our business account for "fraud"

AHL_T
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has stolen our money for absolutely no reason.

PayPal claims we have done fraud and owe them money. We waited 180 days as they said they'd return our money and they didn't.

All the transactions on our account were between only members of the company and developers so far, we haven't even transacted with the public at all.

How on earth do you commit fraud on yourself? And how is someone suddenly fraudulent opening an account and making a couple of transactions ever?

We know this is completely random as ironically no other account is affected e.g. my personal account for example.

Yet all we get back is pretty much automated messages saying the decision is final. As there is no contract breach, this is not at all legal and is theft.

We can only imagine this is discriminatory as being a LGBTQ-owned holding since no one else we know seems to have this problem.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AHL_T 

Sounds like a violation of paypal's acceptable use policy is the reason for the funds confiscation?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#actions

• If you’ve violated our Acceptable Use Policy, then you’re also responsible for damages to PayPal caused by your violation of this policy; or
  • If you are a seller and receive funds for transactions that violate the Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to being subject to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal’s damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal’s actual damages - including, but not limited to, internal administrative costs incurred by PayPal to monitor and track violations, damage to PayPal’s brand and reputation, and penalties imposed upon PayPal by its business partners resulting from a user’s violation - considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing balance in any PayPal account you control.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AHL_T
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see anywhere I/we would had violated the PayPal's Acceptable Use policy.

All that was done was opening the account, and sending funds to/from different accounts, all of which are my own or of people I am related to.

In other words the account hasn't been used for business whatsoever so far.

I don't see why testing transactions would be seen as a violation since you have to learn how to use a platform before you can trust it.

That's literally the first thing any sensible person does to make sure the platform is sending the funds. And just as well we did else you'd had stolen more than the test funds we used.

How can PayPal suddenly decide to close an account permanently if the service hasn't even been used yet and there's proof of illegality? PayPal hasn't even let any money be transferred and all funds are ours. PayPal is a payment gateway, not a loan shark.

And the idea of charging a poor person or start-up $2,500 for making test transactions is absolutely disgusting if it's the case, and outright criminal.

Also it states a right of withdrawal but the account was banned within 14 days with no means to return the funds.

According to most on TrustPilot, PayPal business is a scam and has terrible reviews and doesn't even ban those who DO violate the policy:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.paypal.co.uk

Which makes me wonder why so many are forced to use it by web platforms. So yes I want my funds back and to take my business elsewhere.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AHL_T 

Think you may have to 'take your business elsewhere' if Paypal have banned you from using their services !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.