No refund from SheIn unless I close an already closed dispute

Caterpigger31
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item from SheIn on June 12 and changed my mind on it. It was still eligible for return, so I began the return process. The way SheIn worded things was extremely confusing. They offered me a 'partial refund' (which was listed as the full price) in addition to letting me keep the item, however, they implied that I would need to actually accept this offer, and there was no option on the web page for me to do so. There was no 'accept offer' button anywhere, none of the other return action buttons on the webpage were working for me, and my attempts to contact a customer service rep for clarification were unsuccessful. I didn't know what else to do, so I filed a claim with PayPal. PayPal denied my claim because it 'did not match their qualifications for a billing dispute' and then closed the dispute on June 28.

After this and several more attempts, I *finally* got an actual SheIn customer service person, who stated that they would not issue my refund until I canceled the PayPal dispute. I explained to the rep that PayPal had already canceled the dispute themselves, and I sent him a PDF of the closed case status in my Resolution Center. He responded that my whole account was frozen and that their own system still listed the dispute as ongoing. He said they'd unfreeze my account and give me the refund once the dispute was closed in their own system. I asked him how long this would take. A different customer service rep replied to this stating that I should contact PayPal directly and tell them to cancel this dispute, then the refund will go through automatically.

Long story short, the SheIn reps say I won't get my refund until I contact PayPal personally and tell them to cancel/close the dispute. This is despite the fact that this dispute was already closed almost a week ago by PayPal themselves, and I've provided the reps what proof I could of this.

This feels like a game on SheIn's part now and I'm *really* not sure what else to do here. In my Resolution Center it says that I can appeal the case outcome or report the transaction again if there's another problem, but it seems that I only have until July 8.  I don't know how long it takes PayPal to notify sellers about disputes being closed. I'm also not sure how calling PayPal and telling them to close an already closed dispute would change anything. Can you appeal a case when something like this happens? Should I just demand my refund from SheIn? Or should I just assume my money is gone? It wasn't a huge amount, but it's enough that I want it back if it's still possible.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Caterpigger31 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item significantly other than as described, they do not cover buyer remorse unfortunately.

Also not sure why you opened a dispute for a ''billing dispute'' if Shein charged you correctly and appealing that decision won't make any difference as it was not a billing error.

You only option is to sort it with the merchant but as they are probably selling tat based in China via Social Media then personally I doubt you will get a refund from them unfortunately. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Caterpigger31
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass I’m aware that PayPal doesn’t cover buyer’s remorse, and after this I don’t plan on buying from that company again. However, my understanding is that PayPal can help out when a seller says they’ll refund you but doesn’t. I opened a PayPal dispute because it was looking like the refund SheIn said they’d give wasn’t going to happen after all. And I chose ‘refund not received’ when doing that. So the billing dispute phrase came from PayPal, not me.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.