Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

Inkaboo2010
Contributor
Contributor

How do the scammers get our user names and passwords for PayPal in order to make the payments?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Inkaboo2010 

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting Again...Digital river just handles the orders and payments submitted by partner companies.

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Inkaboo2010
Contributor
Contributor

I did not set up a subscription for Avast. Someone has logged into my PayPal account and set up a subscription. Who it was and how they got my username and password to do this, I don't know. If this is not fraudulent, then I don't know what is. My next move is to cancel my membership to PayPal, which is a nuisance, because i use PayPal a great deal for online purchases.

Login to Me Too

Laoch
So hackers went into your account and set up a subscription to internet security?
Login to Me Too

piotr953
Contributor
Contributor

Digital rivers and empowr are scammers tricking you to set preapproved payments! **bleep**eaters trick you to give card details offering you a free trial or additional security. If you check your account there is ¢15 payment returned exactly month before. That means you got pished. Ask for a refund if don't get it your bank can get your money back. Don't let steal your money:)

Login to Me Too

Inkaboo2010
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to close my PayPal account. Thieves don't stop at one theft. They won't stop at 50 quid rip off, they will go for bigger stakes the next time. A grand or two. I can't risk it.

Login to Me Too

jason49mac
Contributor
Contributor

They don't use your Paypal login/password.

They create a valid transaction using your payment details, often when previously used on a site that has been hacked.

Also there is a scam that even if you decide to ignore and click the X top right, before browser closes the details are transferred = ALWAYS -

ALWAYS  change the details to rubbish before closing the browser.

Login to Me Too

Pete_the_Fish
Contributor
Contributor

When you made the original purchase of a subscription, PayPal sets up an automated renewal payment.

It is up to you to check your payments to ensure that this does not happen again. I'll show you how...

To cancel a pending payment from your PayPal app:

1. Tap See Activity.
  2. Select the payment you want to cancel.
  3. Tap Cancel Payment.

​To cancel a pending payment from your computer:

1. Go to Activity.
  2. Locate the pending payment.
  3. Click Cancel.
  4. On the next page click Cancel Payment.

I hope this helps you and the other readers...

Login to Me Too

Hippy61

I’ve just been notified that digital river have taken £49.99 without my consent it’s a total scam get your act together PayPal you obviously no this is a scam 

Login to Me Too

Inkaboo2010
Contributor
Contributor

I've removed my credit card from Pay Pal. I'm thinking of closing my account. I can always pay by credit card on ebay. If the vendors won't accept this, then I'll shop elsewhere. I can't allow thieving fingers to steal my hard earned money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.