SmartSelect_20220305-035106_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220305-031047_Samsung Internet.jpg

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mito88 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give some buyer and some seller protection. However that protection can never be a 100% coverall so you need to read it so you can risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mito88
Contributor
Contributor

paypal must have a minimum set of rules to allow accounts  to be created.

scammers will create a fake account in paypal with a fake phone #, fake address and fake email.

there is no vetting process...    

after creating fake paypal account, scammers happily process paypal transactions.

the evidence is out there, this is no secret.

https://fakewebsitebuster.com/howsells-com

Login to Me Too

mito88
Contributor
Contributor

these scammers still have their paypal account active...

do we need to go to the streets and protest to get paypal's attention?

public immolation?

their website doesn't list any phone number.

the return shipping address they list doesn't exist in google maps.

[Rempved] Washington 

if paypal verifies their account, they will see false information as well.

Screenshot_20220309-163613_Gmail.jpg

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mito88 

The scammers don't have to set up any fake information at all, as they are in China they can just close one company and open another in a new name and start over when they get too many disputes and paypal sanctions their accounts.

The best thing to do is risk assess your own transactions, if you see no return address or its fake then don't buy from them?

Paypal does not give you 100% protection so we all have to take some responsibility ourselves.

Even credit cards do not give you 100% protection and have been turning down claims for SNAD from some Asian companies.

As I said paypal could not check out every address and every bit of added information for every merchant in over 200 countries worldwide.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tigger000005
Contributor
Contributor

My girlfriend and I each also just got burned with this site (nioniocou) for about $175 CDN (depending how it ends) between us...can paypal check all sites,no...BUT, then again, paypals name is on this site...and doing that, is like endorsing it. I believed i was well protected when i saw the paypal logo (endorsement), i was VERY wrong...paypal should stick to 1 on 1 transactions, such as ebay or kijjiji..... IF this would have been paid with a CC, disputes ect would be fixed quickly... seems with paypal there is a lot of wasted time, energy and complications to fix problems and not even to satisfaction..... i doubt very much that i will use paypal on any commercial site from now on...might even close up the account once things are settled one way or another...VERY disappointed in the Paypal system

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tigger000005 

Paypal does not endorse anything, anyone can add paypal to their website or privately as a seller.

What paypal do is give you 'some' buyer protection if the purchase from your chosen seller goes awry.

That protection is for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described, however terms and conditions exist so you need to read up on their small section on buyer protection and then risk assess your own transactions. 

Credit cards also have terms and conditions and posters are also saying that they have been turned down when they used a c.c. as well for item not received when the scammer has used fake tracking OR for not as described for goods from China. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tigger000005
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but to me it is the same as endorsing... this site (as i have now found through searches) has been doing this for awhile...by now pp should have done something...as for CC...no...NEVER had a problem with CC.. and even they track down and STOP fraudulent sites / institutions from using their services. As for PP protection...big zero here so far.. it has now been about 7 hours of texting spread out and as of now, their solution so far is to send back the junk jewelry i received (worth about $2.00) in place of the over $100 item..so it is NOT AS DESCRIBED....i just got back from the post office...want to guess how much to send it back with tracking????....... $88.90+ TX..... so now after messaging I am ONCE AGAIN waiting.... this site (nioniocou) has a great scam going on...send something that costs nothing and then require it to be sent back with tracking..so to get my $100 in need to pay over $90....again, i will say it.. PP should not get involved with companies or institutions unless they want to properly back up their presence...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tigger000005 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tigger000005
Contributor
Contributor

Uh-huh...buyer beware...yes...but it is the same everywhere...not just china and when PP STILL ALLOWS them to function...they are implicit... and if you look on nioniocou...the ONLY way to pay is PP,,, so my guess is the CC companies refused to work with them... you can defend PP all you want...it will not change anything for me...will use a "safer" payment method in the future (MC, Visa...etc) as for buyer beware...PP should have vetted the site... MANY will do the same because of seeing the PP logo/payment method

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.