Just created new business account and was immediately perma-banned. What gives?

HopefulToad
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking to sell digital goods (my video game and soundtrack) online, and storefronts typically use PayPal for that. I already had a personal account, and I changed the email associated with that from my personal email (and deleted the personal email) to the email I'll be using for business. So far so good.

But then I put my album on Bandcamp, and saw that they recommended setting up a Business PayPal account, so I figured I'd do that. I went to my personal account, changed the email back to my personal email (deleting the business email), and then created a new Business account with my business email, since PayPal recommended creating a new business account rather than changing the type of my personal account to business.

And immediately got a message that I "can no longer do business with PayPal."

I had not done any business transactions of any kind to have possibly committed some fraudulent activity. I had barely even created my account. And now they're telling me I simply can't use Bandcamp, Itch.io, etc. because of their arbitrary, stupid ban? And there's no option whatsoever for appeal? They didn't even give me a valid reason for banning me, other than the stock "We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement and we no longer offer you PayPal services." What, is signing up for an account against the user agreement? Perhaps they should have specified that on the account creation page.

What a complete joke of a company.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.