I was scammed and paypal won’t help me

Watchoutforants
Contributor
Contributor
I responded to an ad on facebook to pay $99 for an 8x12 shed. Very shortly after paying (like, five minutes), I realized it was a scam and tried to cancel the transaction while it was still pending, even tried chatting with someone from paypal Help to cancel it for me, but said they couldn’t. So I followed their advice and filed a dispute instead and resolved myself to wait 20 days so it could be escalated to a claim. The seller had somehow faked a delivery confirmation the same day the order was placed, saying that it’s been delivered in my mailbox (bear in mind this is a shed we’re talking about, a BUILDING, delivered in a few hours, in a mailbox it said). This was about a week ago, but suddenly I get two emails: another phony delivery confirmation done through paypal saying the shed has been delivered (it has not, something like that would be VERY hard to miss), and an email from paypal saying that the seller somehow escalated my dispute to a claim, and that paypal denied my claim and closed it. And apparently I can’t reopen my claim or get any answers from paypal or talk to anybody further about it. Please help! What can I do?
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

leedslad68
Contributor
Contributor

This is it, this seems to be a very common scam and PayPal is doing nothing about it. You8 could even argue that PayPal is encouraging this kind of behaviour.  The claims that Paypal has been making now need to be challenged in a court of law, methinks. You need to visit Facebook page.

Login to Me Too

Watchoutforants
Contributor
Contributor
In that case I’m glad it was only $99. Still a lot of money for somebody making $13 an hour trying to save for a down payment on a house, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
Login to Me Too

I totally agree. Paypal Is just as bad as the shed scammers
Login to Me Too

dlcole76054
New Community Member

I had almost the same thing happen to me.  I ordered a Weber gas grill at a stupid price (low) and of course, did not receive the grill.  I complained and the vendor sent a bogus US Postal Service tracking number that when I asked the PO to investigate, what was sent was a 5 once small package for $3.16.  My grill weighs 103 pounds and could NOT have been sent via USPS.  I tried to add additional information to the dispute and inadvertently changed the dispute reason to Unauthorized Transaction, PayPal almost immediately closed the dispute and denied my claim.  I am now trying to reopen the claim but whoever is reading messages in the message center is too dumb to understand what I am asking.  If I can't get a proper resolution, I am going to close my account and risk using a credit card for purchases in the future.  At least, my Bank will investigate the problem and take the proper action (giving me a credit for the amount of the item not sent)

Login to Me Too

Nberdahl
New Community Member
Same. I talked to someone with UPS and they said I "need to accept that I've been scammed and move on." This world.
Login to Me Too

Same thing happened to me. I had used my NetSpend card and they cancelled my card but transaction went thru. Filed dispute with my card and got a letter in mail yesterday saying I couldn't get my money back because "there was no evidence of fraud" Wow. They got quite the email from me. I'm not done yet!
Login to Me Too

judex630
Contributor
Contributor
My elderly mother with Alzheimer's was playing a game on my phone when the ad popped up using Lowe's and PayPal names and I have been shopping for a shed she knew and trusted both names and thought was helping me so she just used my autofill on Google with my credit card and bought a "shed" supposedly from "Lowe's online shop" for $68 $39 shipping. She came immediately to show me what good she did. So I started the stop payment on that within 6 minutes and chatted through the app with someone and called and talked to someone and heard the same thing I had to wait "but you did authorize the payment right or do you want to start a claim against an unauthorized user and basically burn my ill Alzheimer's mother. Instead of just taking responsibility for letting people who trust their name being attached to a company scam their customers. Absolutely unacceptable practice for a company that "cares about their customers" while they KNOWINGLY let their seniors get ripped off and now are making so hard to even get the money back they knew the selling company was stealing! UNACCEPTABLE!!!
Login to Me Too

Boknows016
Contributor
Contributor
I just got scammed too and PayPal has been useless with their buyer protection. I even sent evidence in and they still denied my claim. Now I'm thinking about having the FBI involved.
Login to Me Too

kpardim
Contributor
Contributor

paypal is sucking at this! i had the same issue and i even called fedex and they said they had someone else name and address and it was delivered.  i think have proof i provided the correct shipping address.  THESE SCAMMERS NEED TO BE CAUGHT AND PAYPAL NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT @PAYPAL

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.