I was forced into making a friends and family transaction and then scammed

Ujiria
New Community Member

Hello. I see I can't file a report for the actual issue of this transaction as it is not about a stolen card or payment method but I've been ripped off of a small amount of money that I feel very entitled to, I've tried filing for an "unauthorized payment" to explain my issue because there was no other option to report it. Basically 6.PNG7.PNG8.PNG9.PNG10.PNGI purchased a "crypto-currency" on a game from a reseller, the currency was supposed to be stored into an account which I would gain access to, and make use of that said currency. However the seller sold me that account without telling me that that account was in fact not theirs but stolen from a random person, and then used to store that currency. As I was given the account I expected to have the right to gain full control over said account as it was a large amount of that currency and therefore proceeded to send a request to change the password to gain full access of it, again thinking it was the seller's as theyhad said nothing about the account whatsoever. After I sent the request I tried using the account today and the password had been changed by the original owner because they noticed his account was stolen. I then asked for a refund to the seller and after a few back and forths lack of understandment they proceeded to call me r*tarded and blocked me on the platform we had exchanged messages on. I need to add that the seller had pressured me into sending the payment as "friends and family" before the transaction and now I see why ; he wanted to wipe off all responsability. Might I also state that I have recorded the entire conversation for further proof, I have more photos than the ones embeded but there was a limit.
Please help me Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ujiria 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his Paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute (apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction), which would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.