Can I programatically create QR code for paypal (mobile) payment

middayc
New Community Member

Hello!

I have been searching online of and on paypal website on how to do what would seem very obvious and much needed functionality.

Paypal has mobile app. Mobile ap has a button to scan the QR code and pay. We are developers of the biggest mobile POS/billing application in our country and would like to enable Paypal payments for our customers. The interaction happens in realtime and in person, so an obvious solutions seems, that upon a buyer wanting to pay with Paypal, mobile POS app would generate and show the QR code on screen. Buyer would open he's Mobile PayPal app and scan it and pay. But I don't see any documentation on how to generate the custom amount QR code via Paypal SDK-s or what the content

of the QR code should be, so we can generate it ourselves.

I found one answer where user recommends generating a QR code with a link, but that link doesn't seem to work:
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Products-Archive/QR-code/m-p/861875

I thought I could create a link to my paypal.me page it seems PayPal Mobile App just opens a link as a normal webpage and requires another login to paypal (as in a brower) to pay on that page.

I saw mentioned in documentation, that you have to create and send an invoice, and then request a QR code to pay. But that seems quite complex
way to generate a simple payment link, since our POS software already creates an fiscalized invoice and prints it on a POS printer (which you can give to the customer). This process would also require that we ask our customer for email address. I tried creating invoice in my paypal, but couldn't find a quick way to send QR code to test this.

Can anyone help? PayPal seems to have all the tools it nees many times over (pay with qr code, pay with link) but I just can't seem to connect them correctly to paypal mobile app to initiate person to person realtime paymente like in POS situation.

// Update:
I see that I can generate and display the QR code in PayPal mobile app. I need to manually enter the amount. So in case there is no solution to generate the correct QR code (or link) directly from POS application, can our POS application call paypal application, if it's installed on sellers phone, so that it would open and display a QR code with correct amount that our application would pass as a parameter. Android has this possibility of apps calling specific activities with parameters in other installed apps (via Intents). Does PayPal mobile app support this?

Best regards,

Janko [removed]

Refaktor d.o.o.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.