1099-C

ccjpol
Contributor
Contributor

I received a 1099-C from PayPal Credit today.  After researching myself, I confirmed what I already knew, that I hadn't even USED my credit account in over two years, and the last time I accessed it at all was to pay it in full--again, over two years ago.  I am very upset about this because I work in finance, and anything like this that WAS actually reported to the IRS (whether incorrect or not) would be a real problem for me.  There is a phone number for questions, however, it goes to a voice mail.  I left only my name and phone number.  Further research shows that there are a large number of people who have received this, telling me that PayPal has had yet another data breach.  This is very upsetting, and I don't understand why PayPal doesn't have better data security, this has happened several times with PayPal accounts! 

Login to Me Too
60 REPLIES 60

Grimlock2
Contributor
Contributor

I never had a PayPal account or log in until I received the 1099 a couple of days ago.  I had to create one to search for information and to make these requests for information.  I don't have any tax forms associated with my PayPal account on the app and I don't think that means anything.  I don't believe the 1099 is fake  - I think PayPal sent it as some entity associated the debt with my social after it went to collections.  I know the original debt is not mine as I have never had a PayPal loan and my credit report has never contained anything related to PayPal or Synchronicity, nor does it show anything in collections or default status.  My credit score is Excellent.  I'm confident my SS number was assigned  after the fact.

As for contacting PayPal - I have already called the number in the link a couple of days ago and left the voice message with my callback details.  So far I have not received the courtesy of a call.

Login to Me Too

Serjape
Contributor
Contributor
I received one as well. Obviously has to be a scam as I have an account with PayPal with good credit.
Login to Me Too

Anna-W
99.99% SURE IT'S A SCAM. I got a 1099-C, too. From Luxembourg for USD$2,466.39. I also had a freeze on my credit. So I logged into PayPal and checked under Documents > Taxes, and there was nothing there. Also, it's under one of my old married last names (been married 8 years, well past any debt collection statutes).
Login to Me Too

Sarge220
Ok folks. I also got a 1099C for over $2,000. If paypal credit is listed on your 1099C contact them and explain it to them. Email any correspondence to them. I got a letter today from Paypal which states: "We received your fraud claim regarding your Paypal credit account and have reflected your paypal credit account as fraudulant in our records. As a result, you are no longer responsible for the balance on the paypal credit account. Due to the confirmed fraud of this account, a 1099C form will bot be submitted to the IRS. Please disregard the 1099C form received." Save the letter! Hope this helps.
Login to Me Too

ScotteMac
Contributor
Contributor

The phone attached says it belongs to PP working capital. I never had it. According to this 1099 the debt was written off

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ScotteMac 

There are a few users who has said they received the 1099-C for some debt from a credit product they never used so you’re definitely not the only one

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Anna-W
Do a quick search under the Community tab for "1099-c". There's a bunch of us. Luxembourg, around $2,000. For me, it's under a previous married name from over 8 years ago, so even if I was in collections (not that I know of) the debt collection statute of limitations is wayyy past. AND THERE ARE NO TAX DOCUMENTS IN MY ONLINE PAYPAL ACCOUNT.
Login to Me Too

Grimlock2
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has a help page for 1099-C issues that points to https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/help974

I'm using it for assistance with what I think could be fraud.

It is a voice mail that is supposed to allow you to leave a message with your call back details and someone will call you to assist with an inquiry.  I have left messages there for a callback but have never once been contacted by anyone.  Can anyone tell me if they have ever had a call back and was it of any use?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Grimlock2
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has a help page for 1099-C issues that points to https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/help974

I'm using it for assistance with what I think could be fraud.

It is a voice mail that is supposed to allow you to leave a message with your call back details and someone will call you to assist with an inquiry.  I have left messages there for a callback but have never once been contacted by anyone.  Can anyone tell me if they have ever had a call back and was it of any use?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Grimlock2
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
Yet another day without a call back from the 1099-c help line.

Any one else experience this?

Probably help to keep an audit log of events for future use.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.