PayPal needs to amend 1099-K Form with Correct EIN and send to IRS!

nadzkadz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

The business' 1099-K form for 2018 is incorrect because apparently PayPal wants me to get in trouble with the IRS. They have put my personal SSN on the form that they sent to the IRS, instead of the Business' EIN number. I had the same issue for 2017 and PayPal resolved it for me by amending the form and I had to send IRS a letter. However, they have done it again for 2018! I am not the business owner, just the financial manager. I cannot reach them via phone or messaging. Does anyone have a contact email address that I can use to resolve this URGENT matter?

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

@lasersnakeemp 

If you have a business account on paypal. Go on the top right, and go to message center and write them a very descriptive message. Most importantly say you want a CASE ID number, and that you want this escalated to the "Tax Operations Team" this is your best shot. The tax operations team take 10-15 days to respond to each email so good luck. They are currently in the process of mine.

Login to Me Too

tomtruong1107
Did you end up received the corrected form?
Login to Me Too

tomtruong1107
I’m in the same situation as you guys. I’m wondering if you receive the corrected form yet. After waiting 10 days as they said, I still have yet to receive.
Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Waiting for mine it has been 8 days so far, since they "corrected" mine. 

They told me it can take up to 14 "business days though" so I am going to wait 1-2 more weeks. 

Login to Me Too

tomtruong1107
Hi @mark2424. Thanks for your update. I hope you will get it soon. I mistyped in previous message, it actually has been 20 days since the time they said that my case has been solved. As the customer service rep stated that the corrected form has sent out and I should have received in 5-7 days. I think I have to give up on this and file tax on my personal SSN for this year. This is unacceptable!
Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Weird enough they just updated mine online under "tax documents" about an hour after I responded to you. But don't give up it took me up to 2 months to fix this man @tomtruong1107 if you still have no luck go to your message center an send them a long paragraph complaining that you want to talk to a supervisor. They will call you on the phone and our helpful but sometimes you have to message them saying they didn't even call you and try your best through the message center to get a supervisor to call. 

Login to Me Too

lasersnakeemp
Contributor
Contributor

I have waited like 3 months and they keep giving me the run-around. I basically waited 2 of those months just for them to say, "please submit a W-9" (which I did, twice, because apparently the first one was "wrong") then only to be followed, "please let us know which account you are talking about and your email". ??????? I think I will try the long paragraph of complaints next. PayPal sucks! I'd get rid of it as a payment option but it wouldn't save me from the same hell for 2021 taxes. I'll be sure to do it when the new year rolls around. 

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

@lasersnakeemp Hey man I totally feel you I was trying to get this fixed for 2 months and they finally fixed it for me. I'll try to help you as much as I can as I know the stress it brings as they were messing up my 2020 taxes. 

You have to email the updated w-9 form to their taxdocument email they ask you to send to. What exactly are they saying is wrong though? They told me my w-9 was wrong twice so I was on the same page as you. The fix in my case was to not use your name at all in the w-9 form except the signature part. so on 1 I would use my business name, and don't fill out your SSN only your EIN. Make sure your date and signature are there of course at the bottom.

the best way to get around this is to be using the message center on your account and make sure to get a CASE ID you can refer to. If they are taking too long send them a message in the message center (if it is a robot say you want to speak to a representative then you type your response and they respond in hour or a day), but in your case since its 3 months write the representative a long paragraph complaining and say you want a supervisor to call you ASAP. You should receive a call within 3 days (if not spam the message center complaining that a supervisor didn't help you)

Login to Me Too

lasersnakeemp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mark! Yes it sounds like we went through the same ordeal! 

Thank you for the advice to not put my name at all on the W-9. That is probably why. The message they sent said that something about the name/address/etc. was wrong so it was not very helpful. I thought that they couldn't accept my DBA name or something.

I did get a case ID issued but I haven't used it in messages. I will definitely bring up the case ID number in my next message. Hopefully with more consistent messaging they will get me sorted out

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah no worries honestly it's very complicated, and their tax operations team take like 10-12 days to respond with very short messages which leaves you wondering. My last supervisor was very helpful and she made the tax operations team check in 1 day they then fixed it the following day and had to wait 2 weeks for them to send the new one in the mail. Definitely push to get a supervisor to call you, they know the most. Message center employees barely know anything and will only confuse you. Be sure to ask the supervisor what exactly is wrong on the w-9 form and to check it themselves, before the tax operations team sees it. I had to have 2 supervisor calls, so don't give up! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.