WEBACT TEXT SCAM

datca123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Just received a text supposedly from Paypal saying 

"You sent a payment for £150.04 to Webact. If you did not authorise this transaction click to cancel " it then gives a suspicious looking link 

Thought it might be a scam and checked on this site and saw that this was a scam reported back in 2016 but looks like they are still at it .

Thankfully I did not click on the link

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

jm_p
New Community Member
Hi I also just received the same message - obviously worried I clicked on the link. I saw it was a suspicious website and did not enter any of my details. Just to put my mind at ease, they won’t have access to my account will they? Thanks
Login to Me Too

datca123
Contributor
Contributor

I did not click on the link just in case but I don't think so. Hopefully somebody more tech savvy will give you a definitive answer

Login to Me Too

Pete87
New Community Member
I had a simular one asking to verify details!
Login to Me Too

TangoGolf
New Community Member

Similar TXT message. Quite scary. Looked at the website which my system blocked. Then checked my account. No transaction and my mobile number not recorded. Removed card details just in case! Will reset password too.

There is no obvious way of reporting scams to paypal. This is probably traceable and they should do something about it.

Login to Me Too

datca123
Contributor
Contributor

I have emailed paypal who confirm it is a scam they said to "To help you minimize receiving fake emails and to help strengthen our security system as well, please forward the message to 62226 and insert the word spoof in the beginning of the message."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.