Refund when paying via prepaid debit

Heatz
Contributor
Contributor

So I paid for something online via paypal with a linked prepaid visa debit card. However, the merchant couldn't accept it and had to issue a refund. I have seen answers for what happens in that scenario; people have said that the refund amount will just go straight to your paypal balance and that's fine I get that. In this case though, I didn't know that and thought it was an issue with the card/account because it wouldn't let me make a purchase elsewhere after that happened(obviously I know now that I had no balance to purchase with but the card I bought has no way to track orders and balance, and not being aware of the fact that I couldn't receive a refund back in to a prepaid visa I attributed it to other things). Anyways long story short, I removed the card off of my account to try and use it on a different account because I wrongly thought my not being able to make purchases was because of the account being rejected by the prepaid card or something(even though that sounds kinda dumb) so I removed it off this account. Now the prepaid I "received the refund" on has been removed before the refund had a chance to bounce back from my prepaid and be added to my paypal balance instead. So I am wondering if it will still show up in my paypal balance even though it's no longer linked once it has time to process.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hello there Heatz,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! 

In general, a refund is always issued to the initial funding source. If you paid with a prepaid card in the first place, the amount of the purchase will be refunded to that specific card. This will happen if you removed the card from your PayPal account and added it to another one. 

If you paid with a bank account or your PayPal balance, instead, the money will be reversed to your PayPal balance. You can find more information on how refunds work here

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.