Opened a dispute due to UA transaction.. PayPal cancelled

ZubairF
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so a few days ago I needed some work done and hired a programmer, who had remote access to my PC and was "apparentally doing my work I asked" 

Anyway I had my paypal password stored in my browser I think, so I get back from my toilet and the guy has the browser opened on my PC and has apparentlly sent the money to himself, ACCESSING my paypal without an authorisation and sent himself $30.

I was extremely annoyed about this and told him I didnt like this, however I didnt report it because he was doing my work. after an hour of apparent work he had still done nothing, so I found out he was a scam and proceeded to boot him from my PC, and opened a dispute on Paypal to get my money back.

Howevver to day I saw on PayPal my cased was closed.

The money wasnt sent from my account to anothers without my permission, if PayPal still refuse to give it back I will be contracting my bank to get the money back.

The "programmer" claims he will send the money back on the 30th but he has now blocked me on the freelancer website

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

ZubairF
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted freelancer.com and it seems the user has blocked me. Freelancer is currently invesitgating the user, however they said they cant get my money back.

Because they money was via PayPal they asked me to contact paypal, but because paypal has already closed the case without even asking for more details etc, freelancer has recommended I goto my bank and chargeback the amount

I mean what are my option with PayPal currently? They refused to listen and closed case without even reviewing

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You allowed someone access to your computer.

You allowed someone access to your password and your paypal account.

That is your problem and not paypals.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ZubairF
Contributor
Contributor

I didnt give him permission to access my account. He was using teamviewer to access my PC todo some coding(apparently) then when I was away from my keyboard he opened up my browser accessed my paypal and sent money to himself.

As PayPal have closed the case should I request a chargeback with my card? I mean its only around £20 but this person gained the money in an unauthorised way.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes by all means try your card issuer.

Personally though my PayPal password is not written down or accessible anywhere but in my head. 

Also no one would be working on my computer unless i was watching them. 

Good luck though and don't let him anywhere near your computer and if he does this work for a living i would inform the police to protect vulnerable other people. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ZubairF
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for the advice.

The user has been reported to freelancer and they are investigating him currently.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.