Cheque cancelled, payment still taken from bank account

RanDan_03
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I made a payment via cheque and then the person who was to receive it cancelled it (because of the time it took to get to theirs), which was fine by me. I then paid it through friends and family straight away. However the payment of £60.00 has been taken off of my bank account today. How do I go about resolving this? I contacted my bank, who told me I need to raise the issue with paypal, I "reported a dispute" and contacted the lady (who is more than happy to return the money to me if this has happened). Does anyone have a contact number for paypal?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RanDan_03

When you make a payment its never instant, normally paypal credit the seller for you and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your funding source ie bank account.

But they only do that if you have a back up card linked as well to reduce risk to them, otherwise they send an echeque and your the one that has to take the wait for it to clear.

However even though the seller cancelled the echeque those funds can't do a u-turn, they have to process through to paypal and then paypal would credit them to your paypal balance as the echeque would not now go through to the seller.

By opening a dispute you have now complicated things further.

You have also lost any buyer protection you had for the second transaction as you paid using the family / friends option which is also against paypal rules for sales.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RanDan_03
Contributor
Contributor

Its okay, I phoned my bank back again, and they could see that paypal had set the payment up as a direct debit type and it was refunded to my bank account by close of business.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.