merchant app vs platform app

ismailalabou
Contributor
Contributor

hi everybody,

what's difference between REST API merchant app & REST API platform app ?

thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @ismailalabou 

Great question!

A regular REST API App is simply your all-purpose app that is used for most integrations. The REST API Platform app is specifically for the Platforms product which you can see here.

That app type has a specific scope that enables it in sandbox for merchants to test. Once you're ready to go live, you have to submit an application for the product.

So, if you're not using the Platforms product, then you should be good to simply use the REST API App.

Hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

ismailalabou
Contributor
Contributor

hello @MTS-Aaron ,

thanks for the reply, so when merchant has tested his product in sandbox, he has to submit an application before he can start interacting with the the rest API using the app. which he gonna specifies which type of product/service he gonna onboard.

am I right, did I miss something ?

Login to Me Too

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @ismailalabou 

The merchant only has to "Apply" if they're wanting to use the Platform product in the live environment. Most other products in the REST APIs require no application or anything when they switch to live, and they can process payments or invoices without any other steps required.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

ismailalabou
Contributor
Contributor

@MTS-Aaron that's actually helps.

thank you so much

Login to Me Too

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Awesome! Glad I could help!
Login to Me Too

murraygray
Contributor
Contributor

@MTS-Aaron 

I have an platform partner app that's in Sandbox mode.

Now, I see you mentioned "The merchant only has to "Apply" if they're wanting to use the Platform product in the live environment". 

Where do I submit my application for that?

thanks!

Murray

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.