Verify paypal email address?

acicali
New Community Member

There are other questions on the forums that are *similiar* to this, but not exactly.

I work on an ecommerce platform that many businesses use. We offer the option of PayPal checkout if the business has an account, but unfortunately most of our business clients don't take the time to create one.

We're pushing for all of them to setup PayPal because we believe it will increase conversion rates. Our concern is that some number of these businesses will get back to us with an email address that's *not* associated with a PayPal account (either a typo in the address or a misunderstanding on their part). This would lead to them accepting orders that they will then not get paid for.

Just to test, I setup our PayPal integration (form + IPN) with a fake email address and it appears that PayPal follows the same process... when our end users are redirected to paypal.com, they still see a payment form and will be allowed to complete the payment. There's no error that says "this is not a valid PayPal account".

So... is there some way we can verify that an email address is a valid PayPal account before we start accepting payments to it?

Thanks for reading!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.