failed/cancelled refund

LlyrRoberts
New Community Member

I recent applied for a refund on Ebay, I was sold faulty goods and from the very start the whole process was awkward. After getting in touch with the seller they agreed to refund me my money, as I waited for the 3-5 business day for the payment to clear through I'm given an email on Paypal saying "transaction taking longer than expected" shortly followed by one saying "refund cancelled", even on my paypal it says 'canceled-refund' I'm finding it desperately hard to make any sence of whats going on. there's essentially £300 of my money floating in cyber limbo and there's no way to actually contact ebay or paypal directly. The payment was supposed to go through wednesday last week but all I can see with paypal is that the seller made the re-fund via eCheck and that it was cancelled. I've never had to return anything on ebay before so I dont really know if this is a common problem or a very strange one. Like I said I'm very much kept in the dark as to where my money is at the moment 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LlyrRoberts 

Basically, you're not getting a refund at this time.

The seller does not have the funds in their PayPal account to cover the refund so the funds are coming through their bank account as eCheck and seller can either cancel it from their bank account or their bank account also lack funds and it failed.

You may want to contact eBay Customer Service (scroll down to " Need More Help?" section and click "Contact Us" to get them to force a refund somehow or otherwise, click the "Report a problem" button within the PayPal transaction details to see if it'll allow you to file a dispute. Its highly probable that PayPal won't allow to you file a PayPal dispute on the transaction because technically a refund was issued albeit failed or canceled by the seller.

This is one tactic sketchy savvy sellers have used to get out of refunding.

If you paid with credit card, you may dispute through your card issuer as per section "Dispute with us or your card issuer":

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LlyrRoberts 

Basically, you're not getting a refund at this time.

The seller does not have the funds in their PayPal account to cover the refund so the funds are coming through their bank account as eCheck and seller can either cancel it from their bank account or their bank account also lack funds and it failed.

You may want to contact eBay Customer Service (scroll down to " Need More Help?" section and click "Contact Us" to get them to force a refund somehow or otherwise, click the "Report a problem" button within the PayPal transaction details to see if it'll allow you to file a dispute. Its highly probable that PayPal won't allow to you file a PayPal dispute on the transaction because technically a refund was issued albeit failed or canceled by the seller.

This is one tactic sketchy savvy sellers have used to get out of refunding.

If you paid with credit card, you may dispute through your card issuer as per section "Dispute with us or your card issuer":

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.