Payment Declined but Authorization still attempted, showing as pending

JaridBoost
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Community, I attempted to make a purchase through Gamestop.com, paying with my Paypal cash balance. As soon as I clicked place order, gamestop sent me to the “payment was declined please try another form of payment or call customer service” page. So now even though the payment was immediately declined, the full amount of the order was still subtracted from my PayPal balance, and is showing as a pending authorization. I received no receipt, order number, or email for reference from gamestop (as the order was never “placed”). Is this normal for declined orders to show as pending / authorization? I assumed the instant decline would kickback to PayPal, and the order wouldn’t show on my account at all. I’m a bit concerned. Any ideas on what happened? Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

JaridBoost
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, anyone?
Login to Me Too

MrSamson88
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me. I placed an order yesterday, my money was taken from the account but my order was declined(still says pending on PayPal).
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @JaridBoost, @MrSamson88,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

It's weird that the order has been declined but the payment is in "Pending". If in your transaction history the order status is "Pending" it means that your order has been received by the seller, but your payment has not yet been processed. For most purchases, the seller will complete the payment within a few days of receiving the order. For purchases of goods, many sellers will complete the payment when they are ready to ship your purchase. The status of an order will continue to display as pending until it expires, is completed, or has been voided, which can take up to 30 days. Please, check the status of the payment on “Details” next to your payment in your transaction history. If it is still in "Pending" you can also contact the merchant to ask for further information. 

If that is not the case, please try contacting customer service by phone by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website and then Call us, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

shikitty
Contributor
Contributor

I called Paypal and the person said that I have to wait until the authorization expires which would take from a few weeks to months.

Login to Me Too

Urnaa0110
New Community Member

Do you mean we just gotta wait and see? I attempted to make an order with Levi's but it was said that the payment was declined and they asked me to use another method of payment. But  paypal says my attempted order is pending without any order number tho. I used my other card and it worked. Hope they don't take the money out of my account because then I will have double order. Very annoying. Hmmm. 

Login to Me Too

mrhaboobi
New Community Member

I have the exact same issue.  Really annoying as gamestop have no email address to contact, and i tried three times assuming it was a payment issue ( one with credit card, once with paypal funds and once with paypal different credit card. i now have 300 USD in "pending" money.  and no way to contact gamestop as im outside the US..  bloody annoying,

Login to Me Too

DCMason
New Community Member

Same issue with Gamestop.  I tried to make a Gamestop purchase useing Paypal linked to a credit card and they declined the transaction.  I tried again and got the same declined transaction message.  Now I have two pending payments on PayPal for the same order and  I'm afraid that at some point a double purchase could be processed by Gamestop/Paypal.  (I also called the credit card and verified that there was no issue on their side of things)

Login to Me Too

NickK1
New Community Member

I had this happen on 2 declines for $25 each and on 1 $100 so called error, so I redid the $100 charge which went through and held another $100 even after they got their payment at Gamestop. so at 1 time there were 2 $25 pending charges and 2 $100 pending charges. One of the $100 pending charges fell off once it converted to an actual payment but the 2nd $100 pending charge is still on my account along with one $25 pending charge. It took 30 days (today) for one of the $25 pending charges to fall off.  Good luck in speaking with anyone at Gamestop that knows what they are doing. It seems like they are learning what to do during the call. That's even if you can get someone on the phone, hold times are 30-60 minutes. After speaking to two different people on two different calls, their recommendation was to dispute the charges which you can't do until after 30 days anyway. 

Login to Me Too

Julz187
Contributor
Contributor

same thing is going on with me.. Jan 1st i placed an order which was declined (but i had the money to cover it in my balance) and theres a temp hold on it.  I called gamestop and the lady said that they're trying to take paypal off of the website but i don't think so because while searching this problem its been an ongoing thing for years.  I've been waiting since Jan 1st and i dont know what to do to have my money released. 

https://gyazo.com/1f52ff9d2310eacceba0b7cd7cf7763e

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.