International payment "short". Why?

SurreyBC
Contributor
Contributor

I just paid an international invoice that was sent to me by someone in Scotland via Paypal with my credit card (paid in Canadian dollars) and they said it was "short" on the other end. (Canadian $ to GBPounds) Why would that be? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SurreyBC 

Because PayPal charges a fee for receiving commercial payments (and for some eligible personal payments). An invoice payment results in a goods and services payment and the fee is deducted upon receipt into the recipient's account. Also PayPal changed their fee structure for the UK as recent as Aug 19th I believe.

Direct them to this page for current fees:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SurreyBC 

Because PayPal charges a fee for receiving commercial payments (and for some eligible personal payments). An invoice payment results in a goods and services payment and the fee is deducted upon receipt into the recipient's account. Also PayPal changed their fee structure for the UK as recent as Aug 19th I believe.

Direct them to this page for current fees:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SurreyBC
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Okay, great, thanks. Tho I wonder why they don't ADD it on to the person sending the money... Does that mean the person on the other end (an AirBNB business) should have paid for that? He asked if he could take it out of my damage deposit... Hmm.

Much thanks for your reply!

Login to Me Too

SurreyBC
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the information and your help!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.