how long does it take for payment to clear?

spook-1690
New Community Member

Hi i'm new to all of this i have just recently sold an item on ebay for the first time and the payment is in my paypal but it says pending and because i'm a new seller on ebay it can take 21 days what i want to know is does it really take 21 days?

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There is no more risk.

The 21 days hold is part of buyer protection.

If a buyer does not receive an item then of course you refund and claim off RM if you sent trackable.

But if the seller has no funds in their paypal balance then paypal has to refund the buyer and pursue the seller for the funds and that can take time.

So to prevent that happening they hold the funds of all new sellers until they have a good proven selling history.

The buyers cannot cancel the payment. The only time they get the funds back is if they file for item not received or item received but not as described which is no different than when they pay sellers without the hold.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

astrostar
Contributor
Contributor

I have payments made with OVER 30 days and not cleared, others with feedback received many days ago and not cleared, so, prepare your self for a longggg wait....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

HERES SOME INFO FOR YOU:

How can I get the payments released before 21 days.

1. If your buyer leaves feedback (pos) then funds are normally released within 48 hours of that feedback being left.
2. If you decide to send an item trackable then you can add the tracking number to the details of the paypal transaction and funds are then released when the item shows as delivered + 3 days.

What if I have met the criteria for release either earlier or at 21 days and the funds are still held.

Then you can email or phone paypal via contact us bottom of paypal pages with the transaction numbers of the items and ask them to "hurry up" and release your dosh.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

frank2015

I think it is ridiculous for paypal to hold your funds. I understand I am a new seller, but if I post a tracking number, and the buyer receives the item and leaves positive feedback then I should have my money in my paypal account. immediately. I am still waiting on my payment to clear while the buyer technically has my property.

Login to Me Too

Gordiemitch
New Community Member

I fully agree with what you say and beleive the buyer should have protection and think paypal is perfectly correct

in there method of holding funds for 21 days my own opinion would be longer if buying from outside your country of residence if not scam sellers would be sending junk to buyers who pay good money then changing there company names and opening new paypal accounts on a weekly basis

Login to Me Too

Missbobbiet
Contributor
Contributor

Just to clarify- once the item is marked as paid on ebay- I then have to send the item and pay for postage without the funds being in my account and I cannot access them for 21 days?!

This seems quite a long drawn out process!

Login to Me Too

frank2015

You can choose the option to pay later for the shipping. It will come out of the money that you receive for the item that you are selling.

Login to Me Too

Sarahburpheart
New Community Member
I am in the same situation, I sold a spare pushchair for money towards my house move but it is only due to clear after I've moved! My pram os due to be collect by courier that will have a tracker etc, I'm sure the lady will also leave feedback. When its delivered and shes happy does it release automatically or do I need to call or email? ?
Login to Me Too

Frankiexo
New Community Member
I have sold a few things in the past 2 weeks, and being new to pay pal I'm still waiting for my payments to clear 😞 I've had positive feedback and provided tracking numbers on eBay etc but still nothing? Do you have to enter tracking numbers and things on pay pal or something? Thanks
Login to Me Too

dhavalrajani92
Contributor
Contributor

i am providing software service so

1) How buyer can provide me positive feedback on paypal?

2) I am providing software service so no tracking number was there so how can i give proof to paypal that i have deliverd my work successfully?

Its good feature for buyer but for seller which is not sell physical item then this feature was confusing. please help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.