When can I expect refund from ebay/Paypal? Seller account closed day after my purchase!

E-mc2
Contributor
Contributor

From the email I received, ebay informed me I purchased an item from a taken over account! So fraud basically!

ebay closed the account next day and that's when I got the email from them, almost a week ago, I followed the course they suggested in that email but when will I get my money for the purchase refunded?

Not  a huge amount of money but annoying.

More worrying is will Paypal, do Paypal try to track down these s__m-bags?

After all they already have a considerable amount of my personal info and anyone else they have sold nothing to!!

Paypal summary says Pending, but there is no cancel option which I read means the payment has already been sent!

Thanx for any info.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@E-mc2

If its pending withOUT a cancel option then it means that it is pending to an email address that is not linked to a paypal account.

IF it completes (highly unlikely) then you can open a dispute but if it stays pending it will time out 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

E-mc2
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@E-mc2

If its pending withOUT a cancel option then it means that it is pending to an email address that is not linked to a paypal account.

IF it completes (highly unlikely) then you can open a dispute but if it stays pending it will time out 30 days post payment.

Thanx for the fast reply.

Well the email says:

"- If you already paid for the item, you may be protected by eBay. Open a request with the Resolution Centre and choose, "I bought an item. I haven't received it yet." You can access the Resolution Centre by visiting"

I've followed that advice.

That seems a bit quick for just the next day! But I would like to assume that means eBay clearly consider it fraud strait off the bat!

So what I'm wondering know is, where is my money exactly.

When things like this happen it would be nice to see a clear trace of the transaction history!

As I don't have a balance, I think I'll call my CC company and cancel. Should have thought of that sooner, maybe Paypal or ebay should include that note in there emails when it very clear on their part is's fraud, that's how I read it anyway.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@E-mc2

I can't comment for Ebay as i don't know a lot about their buyer protection policy but normally if the auction has been 'removed' then they advise you to use paypals buyer protection policy.

You can't raise a dispute if its pending as the other party ie your so called seller has not received any payment (and probably can't as they don't have a paypal account).

It should still be 'pending' in your funding source ie bank account or card and still in that account but unavailable for you to spend as its been put aside to pay that 'bill'.

However it will time out and be released at 30 days post payment OR you could contact your funding source and ask them to release the pending payment as it will no longer be required to pay for that auction.

I did this once as I paid x2 by mistake (glitch) and it was pending in my paypal account and card and the card released x1 of the payments.

However having said all that banks / cards varies country to country and you haven't said what country you are in so things may work a tad different where you are.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

E-mc2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the Reply

Yeah not just the auction but sellers account feedback all set to zero!

Well the ebay option just doesn't work in this situation at least.

It just tells you to ask the seller for refund etc!! very stupid as ebay already told me this is a fraudulent transaction!

So I called my CC company and made sure there's a block on any repeat transactions just in case and managed to speak to someone at Paypal who changed it from Pending to Refund straight away. I'll get my money in 5 to 7 days I was told.

The Paypal automatic phone system is one of the worst I've had to suffer, but luckily got through to a human in the end.

Thanx for the replies and info

Login to Me Too

E-mc2
Contributor
Contributor

Oh great, and now I can't pay using my CC to make a purchase.

So who's to blame?

Paypal is asking me to add a new card, but I don't have another card, and I'm 100% not going to use my bank account!

Do you think this has happened because of the fraud/fake seller?

Paypal have refunded me for that.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.