Paypal fee question

Nadir11
New Community Member

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I made a payment to an airline company for a return flight through Paypal for which Paypal charged me 12 euro.

The company cancelled my flight booking and will refund me the complete amount in a day or two. But will the fee by Paypal be refunded or not?

In case Paypal will not refund me back the 12 euro then is it right? Because it is not my fault that the flight booking is cancelled but it is done by the airline company itself so why should I have this burden of 12 euro without getting anything in case Paypal does not return me the fee it charged?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nadir11 

Why is PayPal charging you a fee to make a purchase because that is usually free. Was there a currency exchange/conversion?

https://www.paypal.com/de/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_DE#r04

4.6. Refused Transactions and Refunds sent by the recipient

We may allow the recipient of your payment to:

• refuse to accept it; or
  • decide to accept it and then use the PayPal Services to send you a refund of all or any part of the amount of the payment later. 

We will return the amount of any refused payment or refunded payment to your Balance.  We will return the amount of an unclaimed payment to your Balance within 30 days after the date you initiated the payment.

If any amount of any payment is returned to you in any of the ways outlined above, we may convert the returned amount for you into either:

• the currency of the Balance you used for the original payment (before any conversion into the currency received by the recipient happened);
  • the original opening currency of your PayPal Account.

If the original payment you sent involved a currency conversion we will convert the returned amount from the currency received by the recipient as follows:

• if the amount is returned within 1 day of the date of the original payment, we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion fee you paid) in the original currency you converted from for the original payment; and
  • if the amount is returned after 1 day of the date of the original payment, we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the conversion of the returned amount. See Section 8.2. for more information about how we set the transaction exchange rate.

We may also automatically withdraw the returned amount from your Balance and transfer the funds back to the funding source you used for the original payment. Withdrawals can also involve a currency conversion – see Section 6.

We may decide to not charge your original Funding Source for the original payment in the first place if the amount is returned to your Balance as outlined above before the payment from your original Funding Source to PayPal to fund your original payment has settled.

The returned amount could be lower in value than your original payment amount.  This can happen as a result of:

• the recipient sending you a refund lower in value than your original payment amount. As we are only a payment service provider, we cannot know what you are entitled to from the original payment recipient as a refund or why the recipient sent the refund in a particular amount; or
  • transaction exchange rate fluctuations. 

PayPal is not responsible for any loss resulting from the recipient's decision to refuse or refund your payment, except to the extent that a refund sent by the recipient is a payment executed incorrectly by PayPal (see Section 12).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nadir11
New Community Member

I made the payment of 586 euro to flugladen.de for a flight from Munich to Karachi for 29 Dec with a return ticket from Karachi to Munich on 16 Jan.

On top of that Paypal charged a transaction fee of 12 euro. There is no currency conversion involved and the money also did not go out of EU. I was still charged.

And now flugladen.de is returning me the whole amount of 586 euro because it is a cancellation from their side but Paypal did not tell anything about refunding.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.