Paypal-Gifts: Sorry, we can’t complete your purchase at this time Please return to the merchant.

normalizedsnow
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to buy Gift Cards through paypal-gifts.com

I am currently trying to get a $100 Netflix GC (or even a $60 GC, still doesn't work)

But quite often, I get the error message:  

Sorry, we can’t complete your purchase at this time Please return to the merchant.

This happens right after I login and go through security steps to confirm my account/identity (sends me a text message with a code).  I don't even get to the payment method screen (if I get there, then everything is fine).

It's not just Netflix.  I have tried other GC's too.  Seems to be hit and miss.  I was able to buy some GC's.  Others, I get the same message.

This is a US transaction.  I am in the US.  I have both CC and Bank CONFIRMED in my account.  My email is CONFIRMED.  I am trying to use my CC (though this doesn't matter. I don't even get to this screen in the first place).  My account is 10+ years old. 

Funny enough, I was even able to buy a Netflix GC in a smaller denomination ($30 and already redeemed).  I am unable to buy the $30 Netflix GC again though, as I get this error message.

I was able to buy OTHER gift cards through the website just fine, even after I get this error message.   I am able to use Paypal as a payment method on another business website (Best Buy, just now).  

Not sure what the issue is.  There shouldn't be anything wrong with my account.  The seller is Paypal.  (so their account shouldn't be limited).  I am able to do the security check just fine.  My CC is not declining the transaction (Again, was able to use it in Real Life, and just now as a payment method with Best Buy).  My CC did ask about the transaction being a fraud, but I confirmed the transaction yesterday (and as far as I know, it wasn't denied, I didn't have to redo the transaction).  I am in the US buying GCs for US companies.  I tried on multiple browsers, and at home and work.  

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

normalizedsnow
Contributor
Contributor

LOL

I emailed support.  Paypal's response?  I quote "Walk through the store where you are trying to purchase the card with."

The store is Paypal-Gifts.com  

How does Paypal expect me to walk through?  

They also tell me to add money to my account?  How is that going to help? I don't even get to the payment source screen in the first place?!

What a joke

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Hello @normalizedsnow,

Thanks for contacting the PayPal Community forums for assistance. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had recently with your account and your attempts at making gift card purchases. Payments can often be blocked or declined if we detect any unusual or suspicious activity. We decline some payments to help protect you from any possible fraudulent activity. If you've verified all your transaction activity and don't see anything suspicious, you can try to complete the payment again. I will remark that gift card purchases are often considered very high-risk since they are a cash equivalent. You will want to ensure that your payment method has been confirmed. If you are buying many gift cards, you may experience additional delays.                                                                                                                      

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

slwchew
New Community Member
I am having the same problem and as stated in the original post there’s no way to verify the payment as the error is happening instead of bringing up the payment page. We can’t even choose a payment to use. I personally was about to checkout, went back to the PayPal gift card to make a change in my cart and have been blocked during the checkout process ever since. I have gotten the text code and verified identity and the total is the same as when I got to the payment page. So again, the issue isn’t the chosen payment as we can’t choose one. The error says we can’t use your PayPal account return to merchant yet PayPal is the merchant and your PayPal account is the only method permitted.
Login to Me Too

slwchew
New Community Member
It’s clear by the response you were given and the one below that no one actual reads the questions with attention to detail. They clearly see key words and give standard replies. So annoying when we take the time to give careful details to prevent useless advice and no one even reads them. I feel like I’ve bumped into this more and more lately with customer service across the board.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.