PayPal Refund

Rafterman
New Community Member

A store has claimed to have refunded me. They have cancelled my order and it states on their website that I have been refunded. I understand that your refund is sent back to the original funding source, however I have not recieved any notification from PayPal and there are no pending refunds under the refund tab. Does this mean the seller has not issued a refund yet? I was under the impression that you received a notification that you were being refuned and once it had been cleared on PayPal, the money was send to the original funding source, I have received nothingIs this still the case?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rafterman 

If a merchant has to cancel an order, that could mean it was done by authorization to capture method (A2C).

In such cases an authorization is created with funds held. The transaction status will remain 'Pending' until merchant complete (capture) or void the transaction. The authorization typically give 29 days for the merchant to mark the transaction as complete or it will automatically cancel. However, the merchant can also manually void the transaction.

If the merchant cancels the order, then authorization may remain until it expires and drops off entirely from your account activity as if it didn't happen with held funds released in no longer than 30 days.

Another scenario is if you look at the original transaction details and it is listed as completed with a reference to a refund then you should see a separate refund transaction like you say. If not then you have not been refunded.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.