I refunded a customer over an INR, only now he has the item & has closed the case.

Landloper
Contributor
Contributor

The amount refunded to te customer by me is still pending in my paypal account and won't be processed until the 12th of July. My question is, given that the customer has now taken delivery of the goods and has closed the INR case, what happens to the £77.99 refund I have made?  John

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Landloper 

When it finishing pending as you have refunded the payment it would be credited to the buyer.

If that happens then you may need to reach out to the buyer and ask them to pay you again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Landloper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info kernowlass. Not a great way for payapl and ebay to manage such things :C

Login to Me Too

Landloper
Contributor
Contributor

My bank account snow shows the refund was withdrawn three days ago and my Paypal account has now moved the refund from 'pending' to completed'. I contacted the customer who informed me that although he has received a confirmation email of the refund having been paid he hasn't actually received a penny yet.  Since the customer didn't need to let me know that the item had arrived (RM failed to swipe on their very late delivery) he could have had the box set and the refund without fuss. Could it be that Ebay have the funds and they will eventually pass them on to the customer even though they have told him he's been refunded?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Landloper 

Completed means that ebay/paypal have completed the request to refund the buyers payment and sent it back to their funding source, it does not mean the funds are in the buyers funding source yet.

Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/FAQ1212

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Landloper
Contributor
Contributor

All sorted now - it took 12 working days for the funds to reach the buyer. I then had to issue an invoice for him to return the payment to me as he received his item in the end. I had the money back within an hour. of hin paying which was a little embarrassing given his long wait. Thanks for your help,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.