How long will my refund take to clear?

Jnugent
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item on eBay and paid for it then the seller advised me it was faulty so they have refunded me. This shows in .y PayPal history but not in my balance or in my bank account. How long does it take to clear?

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

ead
New Community Member
As an impartial party just looking for advice I just wanted to comment that your posts are rude and increasingly aggressive. I am sure many appreciate your help but others may be offended by your style as I am. Please do not consider this an attack on you, just an observation. This is meant to be a place people can look for help and not a petty fighting arena. Please keep that in mind when people may write something that bothers you. Just take a deep breath and move on to those who actually need assistance.
Login to Me Too

ice2kewl
New Community Member

Hi guys,

So is there anything that can be done to reduce the time it takes for a refund to reach one's paypal balance? (if in the case a payment was made via the bank account rather than cc). I hate for my money to be tied up for many days.

Perhaps I should transfer the funds to my paypal account first, then use those funds to pay for items bought on websites. Would this be a workaround to receiving refunds quicker?

Thanks

Maz

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

A seller can only issue a refund via funds in their paypal balance or an echeque.
So if its an echeque it has to clear through from the sellers bank account > paypal > and then it is credited to you and the hold lifted.

This is because paypal don't "refund in advance" like they do when you pay for an item and they credit the seller in advance for you and then paypal take the wait for the funds to process through to them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Shadex05
Contributor
Contributor

I have a question. I went to this store and was told they don't have the cash for the refund. I told the store rep that he can put the refund of 160.49 to my PayPal debit card. he swiped my card and had me to sign the refund reciept. I thought I get refund instantly on my paypal account but it didn't I'm very concern. How long will it take to process the refund or is it lost ?

Login to Me Too

Shadex05
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone help me ?

Login to Me Too

redhandmanc
Contributor
Contributor

On this suject.

If buyer pays me and I withdraw it to my Current Account and I then issue a refund does it come out of my current account or the credit card I use for payments

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi redhandmanc,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum about this.

When you send a refund for a payment you've already withdrawn, we would use your confirmed bank account to issue the refund. This would generally take 5-7 working days to complete. Hope this helps 🙂

Sophie

Login to Me Too

Knudson90
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I recently made a payment of £150 and had to cancel the payment in which the rufund was made It hasnt appeared in my bank yet and im wondering why does it take a while to clear? Thanks
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Knudson90,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

How long a refund takes depends on how you funded the original payment. If you used a card, the refund goes back to your card within 2- 3 working days depending on your bank. If you used your bank account directly it will go to your PayPal balance as soon as it clears from your bank.

When you use your bank account to make a payment, it can take up to 7 working days for us to receive the money from your bank. But to be sure you get your item as soon as possible, we pay the seller straight away on your behalf, and wait for the money to arrive from your bank to reimburse us.

When a refund is initiated before we’ve received the money from your bank, we need to delay the refund until this money arrives. As such it can take the 7 days from the date of the payment for it to clear onto your balance.

I hope this is useful.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Joebcf
Contributor
Contributor
I've read PayPal didn't hold funds to collect interest In my option they do Transaction occurred on the 5 th of May from bank account eBay seller held my money till the 25 he never shiped item and would not respond to eBay mail or the private emal on PayPal on 25 he canceled order and refunded I called pay pal because refund showed pending the girl at pay pal checked he had cleared funds in his account for refund She could not explain why the transaction was pending she said it shouldn't and escalated the solution she was nice and pleasant until I pointed out that as per fed regulation there was a audible beep in our conversation indicating it was being recorded and I plan on filing complaint with the proper agency then she hung up It's now 2 days latter and still on pending status So yes they hold our money and draw interest
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.