How does Paypal determine if it is the receiving of a payment is personal, or for a service provided

stephsticks
Contributor
Contributor

Hello helpful people.

How does Paypal determine if it is the receiving of a payment is personal, or for a service provided? I.e How does Paypal know whether to charge fees or not for receiving money?

My Paypal account is not set up as a business account as I have never needed it for that use, but need to send an invoice for services provided, and also receive a personal payment.

Thanks for any help! Will give kudos etc

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stephsticks 

Goods/services are charged and friends/family payments are not...regardless of account type.

However its against paypal rules to use the friends/family option for goods/services and can lead to a ban if you do (they don't like being done out of their fee).

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Friends/Family Payments.

1. Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).
2. Paypal.me link from a personal account where you don't select the option to make it a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stephsticks 

Goods/services are charged and friends/family payments are not...regardless of account type.

However its against paypal rules to use the friends/family option for goods/services and can lead to a ban if you do (they don't like being done out of their fee).

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Friends/Family Payments.

1. Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).
2. Paypal.me link from a personal account where you don't select the option to make it a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

stephsticks
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.