IPN mesage order and payment Canceled_Reversal

krocak
Contributor
Contributor

Recently we have received some IPN messages from PayPal for a long time forgotten payment (payment held because of a long running dispute).

We received IPNs in following order:

• Reversed
  • Canceled_Reversal

After receiving these IPNs I would expect to end up with payed transaction.  However based on the transaction history the payment was reversed (held funds added to our merchant account and then withdrawn in favor of our customer).

Question: Why was payment Canceceld_Reversed at all? Am I misunderstanding what Canceled_Reversal means? I have expected to receive this IPN only in case that the dispute was solved in merchant favor.
Question: How should I check that we are processing IPNs in correct order?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

MTS_Andre

Hi, as in our guide at this link here (search for canceled_reversal) the meaning for those IPNs:

Reversed: A payment was reversed due to a chargeback or other type of reversal. The funds have been removed from your account balance and returned to the buyer. The reason for the reversal is specified in the ReasonCode element.

Canceled_Reversal: A reversal has been canceled. For example, you won a dispute with the customer, and the funds for the transaction that was reversed have been returned to you.

In any case for more details I recommend to check with Customer Service.

Login to Me Too

krocak
Contributor
Contributor

I have read that. But why we received those IPNs in mixed order? Based on order we received them I would expected that the dispute has been resolved in our favor and thus payment has finally succeed. However it is not the case.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Andre

I should check a specific transaction/example, can you send me a private message with a transaction ID where the order of the IPNs was not correct?

Login to Me Too

unit21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My first message here.

Basically a buyer made a dispute that someone hacked into their account. We've refunded the buyer and the dispute was closed in the buyer's favour. Then our website we got a status Received Paypal IPN with 'Canceled_Reversal' order status. So the order status on our website became "payment received", and the order became a fulfillable order, that we almost sent out. This isn't the first time it happened.

Can you please tell me what's wrong? How can you guarantee that this won't happen again?

Thanks

Isaac

Login to Me Too

isaac999
New Community Member

For anyone else who runs across this thread and has the same issue, here is what I discovered regarding the Canceled_Reversal event.

• The gross shows positive if the complaint was resolved in the seller's favor, and the seller gets a refund.
  • The gross shows negative if the complaint was resolved in the buyer's favor, and the funds return to the buyer.

All you have to do is access the mc_gross/mc_gross1 variable to see if it is a positive or negative amount.

Head to this paypal article to learn more.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.