why can't I have auto return on standard buttons

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that I can no longer create buttons with auto return unless I'm using one of PayPal's "trusted partners". This is not right. Am I missing something here?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MTS_John

Hello @SandyHHK,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Merchant Community.

If you login to your PayPal button dashboard at www.paypal.com/buttons and create a new Buy Now button, you may specify a return URL under the optional settings menu as shown in the attached screenshot. 

optionalSettings.png

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or need any further assistance.

Sincerely,
John
MTS
PayPal

If you found this post helpful, please give it a kudos or accept it as a solution so it can help others with a similar question.

Login to Me Too

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. However, I cannot find the options you describe. There is no Buy Now button (at least not with that specific name). Below is a screen shot of the button options I get. I've been using the "Pay Link or Button" option which does not offer a return URL option.

The only option I've found for a return URL is in the account settings and this says it only works if I'm using one of your "Trusted Partners".

Can you please show me how to get to a Buy Now button? This is becoming a real problem.

Thanks, Sandy

SandyHHK_0-1711899730843.png

Login to Me Too

MTS_John

Hi @SandyHHK,

My apologies for the confusion. The buy now and add to cart buttons were deprecated and are not available for new integrations. They are being phased out in favor of the new ‘Pay link or button’ solution. There is not currently a way to specify a return URL in this solution. The buyer will simply be directed back to your checkout page. I will submit an improvement request to make provisions for a return URL in the Pay link/button, but this is the current intended functionality.

A more customizable solution is available by implementing the full-stack PayPal Checkout solution. There is a video that walks you through setting up this type of integration on our developer site [https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/standard/integrate/]. It may require a programming experience or working with a local web developer. 

I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
John
MTS
PayPal

If you found this post helpful, please give it a kudos or accept it as a solution so it can help others with a similar question.

Login to Me Too

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Just a note though, you are incorrect that "The buyer will simply be directed back to your checkout page." What actually happens is that the buyer remains in the PayPal page and actually has to hit the back button on their browser to return to my site.

This is a REALLY bad user experience for both my site and for PayPal. So much so that I have heard from my users that "this is just another reason I'm going to stop using PayPal". I suggest you get this reinstated as soon as possible.

Please keep me abreast of the progress.

Thanks, Sandy

Login to Me Too

solsweeney
Contributor
Contributor

This is very bad for people not wanting to code a full integration e.g. html / etc. sites.

The credit card (vertical) option is even worse, it sends the customer to a paypal payment confirmed page, with not branding telling them who they just paid with and no way back except the browser back buttons. 

hoping these new pay link / buttons are beta and still under active development. 

Login to Me Too

MTS_John

Hello @SandyHHK

Thank you for the feedback. We may need to get more details about your checkout integration to accurately address this issue. Please create an MTS ticket via the following URL: https://www.paypal.com/mts and make sure that you provide detailed information, timestamps, screenshots, and a URL to your checkout page when creating the ticket to help us identify the issue and resolve it as soon as possible. 

Sincerely,
John
PayPal MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.