Has PayPal updated their standard website payments button? (Please note the date on my post)

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Content Security Policy:: My pay now buttons don't work for the punter.
According to MS Clarity, a video of the punters' actions confirm that, when clicked, the buttons just sit there instead of reacting to a potential sale on my webpages.
My sales have plummeted from 2-3 a day to nothing all a month.

I paid a developer to rectify this problem, but after tinkering with a few settinngs on the server, he told me that PayPal have upgraded/updated the Standard Integration and advised me to update my entire site. (this post 16-02-23)

Now I have been told by a Freelance Developer that PayPal have, ((just lately)16-02-2023) up-graded the integration to include this CSP so it doesn't keep blocking every script ot url that it can find.
BUT see no evidence or links for the new Integration Update, does anyone know where PayPal have hidden it?
I've tried many different <meta> tags and .php <script>s and they all do nothing to help, the red warning in Deveoper Tools still comes up that CSP is blocking the payment. The red warning has a string of urls that are blocked too.
Serious problem and it, should be rectified and published.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Damian0612
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue - see the attached post which acknowledges a problem https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/REST-APIs/Failed-transactions-using-PayPal-Payments-API/m-p/3033... - my ticket to support was submitted 5 days ago and still shows as 'further review required' - such bad service from paypal, I've had to sign up to a new payment gateway to facilitate a short-term solution.

Login to Me Too

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it's a terrible situation and with me it's been going on for at least 2 years and during that time, I've explored just about every avenue to solving this issue, I've paid three developers to go through my site, the server and the workings of PayPal, no-one has come up with a fix.
But the particular problem at my end is that it's not just restriced to the UK, it's worldwide and the root cause is the Content Security Policy (CSP) which blocks the payment buttons, the CSP won't allow the customer to progress to pay, the button just sits there as if it doesn't  have a link to go to - I've watched it on Ms Clarity, loads of potential buyers all indivdually thinking that there's a fault their end, then giving up and going some place else.
We're not alone . .. ..

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Good day @SteveStuartDJ / @Damian0612,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

Yes, PayPal Website Payments Standard is legacy product.

https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/sample-code-lan...

We recommend merchants to integrate our latest PayPal Checkout (Smart button) product.

Guide link : https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/standard/ 

Please follow the below steps via your PayPal account. 

Login PayPal.com >> click on "settings icon" >> go to "Account settings" >> Website payments >> PayPal buttons >> select "Smart Buttons" button type >> fill all the required details >> copy & paste the button code on your website with the help of your website developer. 

(Or)

Login PayPal.com >> go to direct link "https://www.paypal.com/buttons/" >> follow the above steps

I would suggest to please contact your website developer or the support of your third party platform(eCommerce) who can above help you add the above Smart button code on your website. 

Note : Pay Later in the UK includes the following:

• Pay in 3 - Eligible UK buyers can pay in three interest-free payments for purchases of £30 – £2,000.
  • PayPal Credit - Eligible UK buyers receive a revolving line of credit that they can use to pay over time. PayPal Credit offers either 0% interest for 4 months on purchases over £99 or a merchant-specific Installment offers. For the 0% interest for 4 months offer, any remaining balance due after the promotional period or any transactions under £99 are charged interest at the standard variable rate. Terms and conditions apply.

Pay Later button : Render the Pay Later button in a one-time payment integration by passing enable-funding=paylater in the PayPal JavaScript SDK. For details, see enable funding.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/pay-later/gb/#link-howdoyouwanttointegrate 

If your still facing any issues, please create a MTS ticket via -  https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US with the detail information and error details.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply Chiranjeevi_L

I'm pleased that you have replied and offered some solution(s).
My lack of sales (or no sales) has been going on for about 2 years, it was about Oct/Nov '21 when something was either activated or de-activated at PayPal and my sales just disappeared into thin air. My server is never touched so it can't be at fault.
I have used the old Legacy buttons since day 1 back in the 90s, I thought that maybe they'd been depricated?
So early '22 I spent a lot of time updating to the Smart buttons - which I naturally thought would be the cure, but didn't improve things at all.
Since then I tried all sorts. Just latelyl, a Developer (whom I paid to solve this problem for me but couldn't, said that "PayPal have updated the Smart buttons to illiminate the CSP blocking" - when testing my present set up, Chrome Developer gives me lots of RED warning information and nearly all of it referrs to the CSP violations.
That's why I headed my post the way I did, it was to ask the Community if there had been an update, or if my ex-Developer was telling fibs?

I'm having to deal with this massive problem by process of illimination and this CSP is another re-start, to get my buttons active for the world again.
So, once I know the current state of play that I can rely on, I'll be good to start looking for a solution again, Steve

Your Message:

Good day @SteveStuartDJ / @Damian0612,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

Yes, PayPal Website Payments Standard is legacy product.

https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/paypal-payments-standard/integration-guide/sample-code-lan...

We recommend merchants to integrate our latest PayPal Checkout (Smart button) product.

Guide link : https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/standard/ 

Please follow the below steps via your PayPal account. 

Login PayPal.com >> click on "settings icon" >> go to "Account settings" >> Website payments >> PayPal buttons >> select "Smart Buttons" button type >> fill all the required details >> copy & paste the button code on your website with the help of your website developer. 

(Or)

Login PayPal.com >> go to direct link "https://www.paypal.com/buttons/" >> follow the above steps

I would suggest to please contact your website developer or the support of your third party platform(eCommerce) who can above help you add the above Smart button code on your website. 

Note : Pay Later in the UK includes the following:

• Pay in 3 - Eligible UK buyers can pay in three interest-free payments for purchases of £30 – £2,000.
  • PayPal Credit - Eligible UK buyers receive a revolving line of credit that they can use to pay over time. PayPal Credit offers either 0% interest for 4 months on purchases over £99 or a merchant-specific Installment offers. For the 0% interest for 4 months offer, any remaining balance due after the promotional period or any transactions under £99 are charged interest at the standard variable rate. Terms and conditions apply.

Pay Later button : Render the Pay Later button in a one-time payment integration by passing enable-funding=paylater in the PayPal JavaScript SDK. For details, see enable funding.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/pay-later/gb/#link-howdoyouwanttointegrate 

If your still facing any issues, please create a MTS ticket via -  https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US with the detail information and error details.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

Login to Me Too

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for monitoring the Community questions Chiranjeevi, it's appreciated.
I tried your links / navigation that you set out in your replies, but unfortunately, not all of them work.
I got hopelessly lost, so where is the page where you can fill in your details for the Smart buttons and copy the code?
Currently I get a Whoops! 404 - it's very frustrating.
I have 90 + pages to update from the Legacy buttons (which used to work 100%) to the Smart buttons, it'll take me a long time, but apparently it's necessary to comply with the Content Security Policy?
If you could give me the proper link?
In anticipation, Steve

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

@SteveStuartDJ,

Please follow the below steps via your PayPal account to create/generate PayPal Smart button code. 

(Or)

Login to Me Too

SteveStuartDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply Chiranjeevi it's appreciated.
I followed your 'route' to the new Smart Buttons, but it was to the buttons I already have, so I must be up-to-date?

So now my next step is; Do you know how to stop the CSP from blocking all the paypal workings?
I know about the Content-Security-Policy but no matter how I set it up, or how many directives there are, it always comes back that PayPal's blocked.

As far as I know, my account is set up correctly,
I made a new smart button today following your instructions, I uploaded it *without* a CSP header, but it still produced errors and all of them are from PayPal.
Here is the url:
<script src="https://www.paypal.com/sdk/js?client-id=AXlbmXx-qAawQGjgsa2nkde7cVKN1ghH1AuPrDzxxxxxxxxxxVBwIJ&enabl..." data-sdk-integration-source="button-factory"></script>

In pattern/server it produces a red x on the url above, saying: named entity expected, got none.
Unexpected character after attribute name. Invalid character in attribute name.
Yet it's come direct from the Paypal source - extremely odd?

I guess it's one of many cogs in the wheel that can jam everything up.

Any ideas please? Steve

Login to Me Too

fastnet
Contributor
Contributor

Why has putting a PayPal button onto a web page become so difficult?  I'm not a big operator and do not have developers on call who can help navigate the labyrinthine rules, apps and hoops one now needs to jump through, just to get a button on a page. Please, YOU hire somebody with UX experience to make these tasks understandable to the average small business person. Nightmare!

Login to Me Too

WebWabbitt

I second, third, and fourth Fastnet's comment. After using a PayPal hosted button for a couple of years to accept donations on a small community organization website, I was asked to look into an option for accepting Venmo payments as well. As the organization isn't eligible for a Venmo account, my research indicated that the solution was to integrate it with PayPal by using a so-called "smart" button. Seemed easy enough - at first. I've done web dev and some light coding for many years, and TBH I am lost. It's a Wordpress site, and I'm trying to glean from PayPal's convoluted instructions (which send me to GitHub with more convoluted instructions) what I need to install on the site and what files and code to update to implement the smart button, and it's been a nightmare. It's not an e-commerce site, so we don't need or want to install WooCommerce for just one button, and the one other plugin that might have the built-in components necessary is not compatible with the older version of WP we have to use so that certain other important legacy plugins continue to work.

Another option that I just learned about that included a PayPal/Venmo QR code and which actually would have been perfect for our needs - PayPal Here - was discontinued about a month ago. That figures. 😐  Well, I guess I'm glad we didn't come to rely on that only for it to be yanked just as we're going into our active fundraising season for the holidays. It took me many years to convince this organization that they should be taking online donations with PayPal as well as in-person contributions. The pandemic was the final push needed to include contactless payments. Now, we're trying to expand that but the learning curve to figure out how to just add a button is holding this up.

We don't have a lot of resources to hire a team of developers and I'm trying to do this on the cheap for them as it is. Some generic "PayPal Smart Buttons for Dummies" instructions would really be great! With Wordpress being such a common platform, you'd think there would at least be some instructions for that, but no. I've been scouring the community board to see if anyone else has found a simple solution to this without any luck. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.