Buttons.

abdiscovery
Contributor
Contributor

I have over 500 buttons on my website so editing them was always a challenge in the old system but at least the ones i edited regularly (changes in price) were at the beginning of the list. Imagine my horror (and then disgust) to discover a new webpage that makes the old terrible one look marvellous.

1) the order of buttons has changed into something random. There are far fewer buttons on each page making it harder to find what you are after.

2) there is now first or last buttons

3) when you finally find a button and try to edit it, it fails. And of course, there is no cancel button on your edit anyhow so if you go to edit... you are committed

4) the code section used to have an email link which is what you need in a WordPress webpage like mine. Naturally, that is gone because... who knows.

I need to edit buttons and I need to add new ones for new products and this is virtually useless.

What kind of webpage designer makes these elementary mistakes? no cancel button? no first or last navigation button?

I had hoped that a redesign of this page might include basic standard features like a search button, user-choosable number of lines per page and other things.

This is amateur-hour nonsense and has rendered Paypal next to useless to me.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

3MS
Contributor
Contributor

I feel for you. I noticed yesterday that any button I created or edited would now have a zero weight. Since I set up a weight-based shipping profile, these items all now process as $0 shipping. Advanced variables for shipping, weight, or anything related no longer work.

I did speak to PP about this and was told to migrate my entire website and all items to 'smart buttons' like this was some 5-minute operation. When I pointed out that implementing smart buttons wasn't a trivial operation and would take many, many hours, I was told there was no work-around and I was basically SOL. I have a live production site and I am having to eat shipping costs with every order.

PP isn't a real business solution any longer so I am working earnestly on a new site over at Shopify. I will have a big smile on my face when I can close my PP account and be done with these people forever.

Login to Me Too

vraquila
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem, support pointed me to a legacy page where I was able to edit advanced variables using the old interface and it worked for me, I was able to reinstate lost variables there. I would describe this as alife-saving work-around for those who are losing money right now, can't say I have much confidence that this solution will be available in the long term, but it might help patch up the mess until you have a better solution. Legacy button manager here:-
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_button-management

Login to Me Too

dugfreez
Contributor
Contributor

That link was a life saver. I did not realize that every button I had edited with that new, crappy interface was wiping the weight off of them and giving everyone free shipping on them. This had happened a couple of days ago and actually contacted PayPal about the shipping being charged, but they didn't mention what the issue might have been. It looks like they would have mentioned the new buttons being **bleep** up is what was doing it. 

I've already lost over $50 in shipping fees today when a rush of orders come in. Luckily, most of the orders had at least some items that was still charging shipping, or I would have been hosed for several hundred. 

If this doesn't get corrected or they take that classic link away...I do not know what I will do. I know very little about website development or switching things over. 

Why are they breaking things and probably driving customers away?

Login to Me Too

HCK1
Contributor
Contributor

Wow. Could not find The PayPal buttons page that I've been using for nearly 20 years!  That link you provided brought it right up. Sincere thanks. PayPal has made thens of thousands of dollars off me thus far. If I have to figure out a new PP system for my sites, I will put the effort into seriously looking at another online processor. Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
I have over 500 buttons on my website so editing them was always a challenge in the old system but at least the ones i edited regularly (changes in price) were at the beginning of the list. Imagine my horror (and then disgust) to discover a new webpage that makes the old terrible one look marvellous.
Login to Me Too

dugfreez
Contributor
Contributor

It seems PayPal has finally squashed this classic button edit workaround. The link will not load and I have no idea what I am going to do. 10+ years using PayPal and these buttons and now I can not even edit them to keep my website running. If I do edit them the way they want....I am giving everyone free shipping. 

Login to Me Too

abdiscovery
Contributor
Contributor

I found that out as well just now... HOWEVER... the new buttons page actually works properly now. It works very similar to the old one and has the proper navigation buttons and last-edit order. I wish there was a search button but at least it is back working properly.

But they did **bleep** up the email advice of payments. Now it simply says 'shopping cart' and I have to go to my account every time to find out what a customer ordered instead of trading off the email.  sigh:(

Login to Me Too

dugfreez
Contributor
Contributor

I really have no idea about any of the stuff you are mentioning, but the new button edit page still does not have a place to put in the items weight (as I have my shipping charges calculated by order weight). So, I have to believe that as soon as I go in an edit a button using the new page...it means it weights 0 and they are getting free shipping on it. 

Login to Me Too

dugfreez
Contributor
Contributor

I submitted another support ticket 2 weeks ago and they gave me the:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_button-management

link again and said to use that. It was working again........but now it's not. Now that link just redirects to:
Create PayPal Payment Buttons

Which will only take me to the new and broken button UI. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.