Why would anyone consider a Pay Pal credit card?

Capalong
Contributor
Contributor

I have used Pay Pal from time to time and all my transactions went through smoothly, using a non-Pay Pal credit card.

Recently I received an offer to apply for a Pay Pal "MC extra credit card". I was appalled at the high rates interest rates stated on the disclosure sheet. Are you kidding!!!! The clarification for what is a type1 or a type 2 account was not clearly stated.

I suggest,  in the interest of encouraging more folks to consider their cards they consider  lowering their rates. I can (today) apply for a card that charges from 9 to19% less interest and offer identical features.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

drojas4
New Community Member

rell
New Community Member

You would do it for the points or cash rewards and make sure you pay it off every month. Use it just as you would a debit card and build up the points. I have been doing it for a while now. I use the the paypal card it comes out of my checking account I shop on my usaa (my Bank) website it gives me points also so I get points twice.

Login to Me Too

Capalong
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, one can benefit from cash rewards, points and all is well if you pay off your monthly balance, in full, every month. I do that with the card I currently use. In a perfect world we will all be employed and in the black year after year. But anyone can be hit with hard times financially and perhaps unable to pay off their monthly credit card debt. It happens more today than ever.

If you had to pay your minimum credit card debt, each month, what kind of credit card would you prefer? One that offers equal points and percent payback with an interest rate @ 11.00% APR., or Pay Pay that charges @21 to 22.00%. There are better cards out there - if one pays off their card every month then their credit score should qualify them for one with reasonable interest rates.

Login to Me Too

Dalton923
Contributor
Contributor

Why would anyone consider 'any' credit card?

Cut up all your credit cards (as soon as you can) and stick with a DEBIT CARD.

Login to Me Too

Capalong
Contributor
Contributor

There are several advantages to using a credit card in lieu of a debit card.

If used responsibly, credit cards help build up your credit, as long as you pay your bills on time. Most cards today offer rewards, cash back, gifts and services. They also provide more protection if someone steals your card or bank information. If one notices a a fraudulent charge on their credit card account, one can call the card issuer and make a dispute claim and have the charge removed from the balance. But if thieves steal your debit card info and us it,  it can take weeks for the bank to investigate your claim and replace lost funds. Meanwhile your faced with with a dwindling bank balance or bounced checks.

Federal law protects you if you need to dispute charges on a credit card, but not on a debit card. Paying cash or using a debit card card, the retailer already has your money which translates into less leverage or guarantee you will get your money back.

Login to Me Too

cdezign
New Community Member

so true... i just sent a moneygram cash to a friend in Thailand, even though mongram charged a hefty fee to use a credit card for the transaction, well so does Paypal (or ge credit) Its considered a cash advance, an no where on moneygram.com site are you warned of this and because of the fees i thought it was a credit card purchase.

Another gripe i have is that paypal pushed the go green (paperless) down our throats all the time, they don't do a darn thing to email you and warn that payment has not been received yet. I was one day off and got charged a $24 late fee.

Next i pay off my card account and take it off the master choice of payment on ebay... so now it defaults to my balance on my paypal account. If no funds there it wants to go to my checking account. After digging i found out that its a two step process to use a regular card as a payment method. I don't care how much trouble they make it, they will never get a penny off me with their credit card. Thats in the shreader.

Really **bleep** when they try so hard to make it look like its all about you, when IT ISN'T its how much they can get into your pockets.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.