email recd saying my "acct has viol..."

Debbie17
Contributor
Contributor

I recd an email  10/17/18 saying my "acct has viol..." What is this?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Debbie17

No idea you only said...  ''acct has viol''

Do you want us to just guess?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Debbie17
Contributor
Contributor

sorry. That's all the email "title" says and I didn't want to open it since I don't know if its safe, legit, or scam

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Debbie17

Your right to be cautious, read this to check....

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Debbie17
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ! I fwd the email to paypal and we'll see what happens.  BTW, when I fwd it, the whole email title showed as "your acct has violated our policies". I still have no clue at this time what I did or if it was phishing, spam etc. So hopefully paypal can find the answer and my acct is in good standing. and safe.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Debbie17

Sounds a spoof, if it wasn't then there would be a message for you when you logged into your account to go to the resolution centre and resolve any issues.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.