Possible phishing email, but not sure!

Simoneale
Contributor
Contributor
I just received an email, apparently from PayPal, saying 'It's been a while since your last login. At PayPal, your security is top priority. To confirm that your PayPal account is secure, as a precaution, we have reset your password. To access your PayPal account, you will need to create a new password' However I can login to my account on the web and via app with no problems!! Is this a scam? Or legit?? I can't find anything on the web, or PayPal help section!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simoneale 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-would-i-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Simoneale
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, I didn't click any links (I'm not that silly) but the email looks real, I was just wondering if PayPal would actually reset my password and then tell me to set a new one!? Just sounds a little weird/fishy to me!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Simoneale 

The whole point of my post was that if there is a link in that email then its unlikely to be from paypal.

They would tell you to log into your account and then change the password, they would not do it for you.

You can send it to spoof@paypal.com for confirmation (as per the info in the links i gave you).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Simoneale
Contributor
Contributor
Cool, cheers, will send it on. Strangely things are still working with no password change, as yet!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.