Fees incurred to the seller for transaction

mywords4u
New Community Member

I'm hoping a US based people who have received funds from someone overseas can help me here.

I see some deals where the seller would be responsible for paying the fees if goods and services option is to be used. In this scenario I'm the buyer from overseas paying for goods in USD. When I look at PayPal US website on fees, I get two scenarios based on location of PayPal account. I'm wondering whether this dependent on geographical location of the buyer or the currency of transaction. I've heard from two different PayPal representatives with different answers.

The buyer is not in the US and the seller is in US. Transaction is conducted in USD. The transaction fee is either 2.9% + $0.30 or 4.4% + $0.30. One agent told me that the fee depends on the currency of transaction while another said it's based on the geographical location.

Can someone please answer based on their experience? It's been 4 days since trying to get this answer from PayPal but they kept missing my point. That resulted my calling to PayPal twice today with different answers each time I ask.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @mywords4u,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! Thanks for reaching out! I know our fees can get a little confusing when incorporating currency conversions and cross-border fees. The end fee can actually depend on geographical location and currency of the transaction, it just depends on when the currency is being converted (on the sender or receiver's end), and also where the funds are coming from and going to. 

If you are sending them USD, the currency conversion would happen on your side (the sender's side) since you're most likely going to be sending from a funding source based in NZD. 

If you are sending them funds in NZD, the conversion would happen on their end since they would have to convert it to USD once they receive it. 

In regard to the International Transaction Fee, sending from New Zealand to the US would have a 4.4% transaction fee plus a fixed fee based on currency received. 

You can find all that information on the US Fees Page

Hope that clears it up!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.