Buyer&Seller protections for Local Pickup items & how to comply with safe payment policy on ebay?

Waaaade
New Community Member

I have just read about 10 different messages here on the paypal community boards that say there is 'no seller protections' for local pickup, time and time people are advised here on the boards against accepting paypal for a local pickup and I feel a little confused as this seems to break ebays safe payment rule? So this only relates to the "SELLER protection policy"? Where is the corresponding page with the buyer protection policy outlining this same thing because I cannot find it?

S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

d. The item is delivered in person or picked up in person;

Furthermore it seems like it is strictly against ebay rules to refuse to accept paypal (or an alternative 'safe payment method') so where does that leave people when buyers insist on using paypal which is sometimes convenient, easier and safer than carrying around a sum of cash. It just seems like people are being advised to break ebay rules by refusing to accept paypal for pickup but many people are seemingly left no choice because paypal refuses to cover the seller in case of a credit card chargeback (IF SO WHY?) is this the deal? Because if it is it seems like a pretty bum deal and seems like there is literally no "right" choice to make as no matter what your beaking ebay rules or putting money at risk

Accepted Payments Policy

eBay wants to ensure that the marketplace offers buyers safe, appropriate and convenient payment choices for the marketplace.

Safer payment method requirements

For most categories of listings on eBay.com.au, sellers need to offer at least one of the following safer payment choices:

• PayPal

• Paymate

• Credit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Waaaade
New Community Member

Just to add I just read through the entire buyer / seller protections here that list there is no seller protection if; "The item is delivered in person or picked up in person"

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

Why is it that this rule does not extend to the buyer protections? There seems to be a big problem with paypal if we are forced to break ebay rules by refusing to use paypal etc for pickup, and this obviously leaves a giant risk for local sellers because paypal seemingly wont accept the fact the buyer paid for a PICKUP sale item (their choice by the way) where no tracking would ever be involved, hence it seems quite unfair to have it set up this way.

Is there a legitimate reason why paypal are seemingly forcing sellers to either A)Break ebay rules or B) risk loosing all the money on a local pickup sale?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.