email from paypal -- is it real?

Dot2
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email supposedly from paypal saying unusual activity was detected and I needed to verify my credit card.  I started to do this, then I had a bad feeling about it so I stopped short of giving my number.  Then I changed my password just in case.  Was this email really from Paypal or was it a scammer trying to get my information?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Dot2

This was a phishing link trying to steal your card and PayPal account login details. This is why it's so important to never click links in emails and to always go to the website directly.

If PayPal need you to verify that you're the owner of a linked card there will be a notice in your account. Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or business name. Always go to the website directly to log in and check if you have any notices or transactions in your account.

Since a phishing link was accessed, you should run a virus scan of your phone or computer just to be safe.

Here is a PayPal link with details on fake emails and an email address at PayPal you can forward the fake email to.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake,-spoof,-or-phishing-emails-faq2340

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Dot2

This was a phishing link trying to steal your card and PayPal account login details. This is why it's so important to never click links in emails and to always go to the website directly.

If PayPal need you to verify that you're the owner of a linked card there will be a notice in your account. Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or business name. Always go to the website directly to log in and check if you have any notices or transactions in your account.

Since a phishing link was accessed, you should run a virus scan of your phone or computer just to be safe.

Here is a PayPal link with details on fake emails and an email address at PayPal you can forward the fake email to.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake,-spoof,-or-phishing-emails-faq2340

Login to Me Too

Dot2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Oregon11.  I changed my password, and I have Norton Security.  I think I'm ok.  I didn't follow it all the way through, I stopped at the credit card number and exited before entering anything there.  I will remember your wise advice for the future.  I will send the email to the link you provided.  Very helpful!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.