Phishing scam

JaytheLamb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I just wanted to provide some information to help to the PayPal community. The following link has been sending out emails about PayPal accounts being suspended. They ask for information such as social security number, mother's maiden name, credit numbers and expiration dates, etc. Please be aware and be careful, look at the url and confirm with PayPal directly about the status of your account. The url will take you to a page that resembles an official PayPal page, with the logo included.<removed>

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JaytheLamb 

Yep been ongoing for years, glad you weren't caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Neto002
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same problem, but i didn't pay atention and filled the information, what should i do? I already temporarily blocked my credit card. I'm a little scared
Login to Me Too

JaytheLamb
Contributor
Contributor
Hey @Neto002, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Best things you can do is to 1. Contact your financial institution(s) to be sure that your account(s) and/or credit card(s) have not been compromised. 2. Change your paypal password and security questions, if you can, and activate 2 factor authentication (if this has not been done already). 3. Look into a credit monitoring service (there are some great ones available at no cost), that way you'll be notified if, for instance, someone applies for a loan or credit card in your name. 4. Monitor and report any suspicious activity you notice. I hope these solutions help. Good luck. P.S. Here are some pieces of advice for spotting scams: 1. Make sure you check all URLs (we all forgot to do this at times) and if in doubt test the login process. If it lets you in after you type in a random password (i.e. djfjdirrkdj733), then it is a false link. 2. Back out of the page and log into PayPal from another tab,browser, or the app to see if your account is restricted.
Login to Me Too

Neto002
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much I'll do these things
Login to Me Too

Pklom
Contributor
Contributor
Did your social security get compromised i just fell for it too. Im more worried about my social.
Login to Me Too

JaytheLamb
Contributor
Contributor
@Pklom Make sure you check the status of anything you have your socially security number attached to.
Login to Me Too

kuba86
Contributor
Contributor
Csn you explain how I am supposed to do that? I got caught too, put in my social which I don't believe can do any damage, I immediately blocked my debit card, fortunately the account info I put in is the old never used one but how to check the social?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kuba86 

https://www.ssa.gov/fraud/

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.