Paypal Fake email?

lukus32
New Community Member

Hello, I want to ask you guys. I should receive a payment from a woman for goods + shipment. I received a email from "paypal" In the email is : Payment On Hold-- Western Union Receipt Of Payment Needed To Complete The Transaction To Your Account Instantly. The email wants from me to pay amount for a shipment via Western union to a person and then I should send a photo of receipt back to paypal email so my money will be added to Paypal account. But this whole thing is just stinky. 1) There's "space" at the end of the "Paypal sender, It only shows up if you copy the email adress. 2) On the internet I read that Paypal never wants payment via other transfer sites. Whole email looks like this : Hello Lukus, Ingrid <removed> Sent you 23,000.00 CZK PayPal confirms that you have received an instant Payment of 23,000.00 CZK from Ingrid <removed> via PayPal Secure MERCHANDISE Payment service. Transaction Details Transaction ID: ------------------------- Money Received NOTE FROM PAYPAL SECURE PAYMENT SERVICE: Read and follow the details of the payment below for the transaction to be completed to your account instantly. Cheers. Status: Payment On Hold-- Western Union Receipt Of Payment Needed To Complete The Transaction To Your Account Instantly. Kingly find the details of the Pending Transaction below Merchandise Amount 14,500.00 CZK Transport Fees 8,500.00 CZK Total Amount Description 23,000.00 CZK Goods purchased Transfer Current Percentage To Be Done: 99% Once the money's in your PayPal account, You Can: •Withdraw it from your bank account. •Transfer the money to a credit card. •You can spend the money online at thousands of shop that accept PayPal. The above money that was transferred to you by Ingrid Young has been fully deducted from the payee's account which includes the Delivery Charges and is ready to be transferred into your account, But before the transaction can be finalised you would have to pay the Delivery fees to the courier agent details below This is a secure procedure to protect both the buyer and seller involved in this transaction Don't see the money in your PayPal account? Don't Worry-- In order to complete this transaction and get the full funds credited into your account, you need to proceed to any Western Union outlet around you and transfer the additional money which is sum of 8,500.00 CZK to the courier agent details below and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transfer Receipt or Payment Details From the Western Union by replying back to this email for the full protection of the transaction. Below is a step by step guide on how to make the transfer via Western Union: •Go to any nearest Western Union outlet around you and request a Western Union Sending Form. •Write the receiver's Name and Country provided below •Receive Option By The Receivers Should Be: Cash Pickup •Pay with Cash or Credit Card. •You'll get a receipt after completed the payment. Attach and email a scanned copy of the receipt to us or write the details on the receipt such as the Sender's Name; Sender's Address & MTCN Number or Reference Number. Transport Agent Details The only details you need for the payment via the Western Union or MoneyGram below; •Name: ZORNITSA ********* •Postal Code: 1000 •City: SOFIA •Country: BULGARIA Please Note: You can use Western Union or MoneyGram to make the transfer and the transfer charges will be added to your account with the full fund. The Western Union or MoneyGram receipt should be sent to us by replying back to this email for the accreditation of your account without any further delay and For the full protection of this transaction. You may contact us by replying back to this email if you have any question Thank you for using PayPal Secure Payment Service Yours Sincerely Payment Team.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lukus32

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

56Gina
Contributor
Contributor

Same 'woman' Ingrid <removed> wanted to buy a piano in Dublin and ship it to Spain. Would not receive a phone call, but would only text from +<removed>.  The scam revolves around paypal too. Beware. 

Login to Me Too

Eddie1978
Contributor
Contributor

Just got a text message to my phone from a "MrsIngrid" saying she wants to buy my furniture which I listed on www.donedeal.ie last night. There is no phone number listed with the MrsIngrid text message and it asks that I reply by email to <removed>. Is this similar to what happened to you?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eddie1978 

Read my post above !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

56Gina
Contributor
Contributor

Eddie1978  Exactly the same situation.  I had an exchange of texts/e-mails.  He/she couldn't speak in person on the telephone because ' he/she was working away on field service with the Red Cross and for security they couldn't answer their phone'.  He/she  wouldn't discuss any logistics around the delivery of the piano but was desperate to get my paypal details.   In fact they didn't even remember the cost of the piano from the advert, just asked me what was my lowest price.  The phone number was Spanish and the delivery address was in Address: <removed>. Zip Code: 28019 City: Aranjuez.

Login to Me Too

56Gina
Contributor
Contributor

@Eddie1978   The information below is from the Done Deal website.  The scammer MrsIngrid falls into the group trying to get an e-mail and arranging payment through paypal.  

Avoid text and email scammers
Communicating with potential buyers by using DoneDeal’s SafeMail system is the best way to keep yourself safe from unscrupulous rip-off merchants

Have you ever noticed that your email address isn’t visible on your DoneDeal ad even when you’ve included it in the contact details?

Well, this is part of the DoneDeal SafeMail system. We do this to stop any non-genuine people getting your email address.

Your email address is not shown in an ad when you enter it into the email field above when placing an ad

Of course there’s a but; despite our efforts, there are scam artists out there who will do anything to get hold of your email address.

Beware of texts

One of the latest ways of doing this is to send a text message to the number provided in your ad asking you to email them directly with more details.

One reason for doing this is to try to find a way around our SafeMail system, from which they’re already blocked.

The reason we use SafeMail is to try to protect DoneDealers from people who make a living out of ripping off other people.

Common scams

There are many different scams about but the main focus of them all is to persuade a DoneDeal seller to part with their goods for sale or their money by promising payment or delivery.

Two common scams
1. A DoneDeal seller receives a text asking for their email address. They then receive an email saying the buyer wants to pay by money transfer (Western Union or PayPal), is based abroad and will arrange transportation costs. The seller loses the goods for sale and doesn’t receive any money

2. A DoneDeal buyer is asked to pay for goods by money transfer (Western Union or PayPal). They receive confirmation from a fake shipping company with a professional-looking website that the goods are en route. The buyer loses their money and doesn’t receive any goods

In the first scam, the perpetrator is texting DoneDealers because they’re blocked from the SafeMail system because of scam number two.

Avoid the trap

If in doubt – isn’t everyone excited to get communication from a potential buyer offering good money – we recommend the following:
1. Don’t text them your email address
2. Text back the person asking them to email you through your ad and you’ll send them the details there. Any genuine buyer will be happy with that

Online safety

There are a few other things you can do to keep yourself safe when buying or selling goods online.

Sellers
• Give as much detail as possible in the ad. See our articles on writing effective ads, using photos and using video
• Don’t put your email address into the ad description. Place it only in the contact field (pictured) and only reply to emails using our SafeMail system
• Try using the ‘no private numbers and no texts’ line
• Accept cash or bank draft only

Buyers
• Collect the goods you’re buying in person. Do not rely on post, courier or shipping promises
• Pay by cash or bank draft only. Never pay into a person’s account or use PayPal/Western Union or anything else

Whether you’re a buyer or a seller, it’s no harm to:
• Meet in a public place
• Bring someone with you

Full scam details are on our help section:
http://help.donedeal.ie/info/scam-watch-texts-asking-you-to-email-more-photosinfomation
http://help.donedeal.ie/info/shipping-company-scam

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.