June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

SueZee
Contributor
Contributor

I have Opera and it is newly updated, it is a good private browser so I do not understand why you have a problem with it.    

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If you have Opera 12.18 or later you should be fine from what info I've looked at.

One has to be aware this is not a PayPal plot to take over the world - its a security upgrade necessary for most independent sites and web hosting services.   And for the geek in many of us, below is an explanation that may help with your questions.  There's probably more details out there but, this is the important stuff.

Many web based services including PayPal are or have been updating their site security Transport Layer Security – or TLS – from TLS 1.0 to TLS 1.1. The Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a cryptographic protocol used to establish a secure communications channel between two systems.   It is used to authenticate one or both systems, and protect the confidentiality and integrity of information that passes between systems including things as email, Internet faxing, and other data transfers.   To ensure the security of your personal information, your web browser also needs to be compatible with the new protocol.   Browsers that don’t support TLS v1.1 or v1.2 will not be able to view any site that has upgraded to TLS 1.1.

The following browsers support the security changes and no action is required on your part:

Internet Explorer 11 (Desktop & Mobile)
    Internet Explorer 8,9,10 (Desktop – Compatible but not enabled by default)
    Firefox 27 and higher
    Google Chrome 38 and higher
    Google Android 5.0 and higher
    Safari 7 on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) Desktop and higher
    Safari 5 on iOS 5 Mobile and higher
    Edge

The following operating systems are not compatible with TLS 1.1 or higher and it's recommended that you upgrade your operating system to a supported system:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Server 2008
    Server 2003

Notes:
* If you're currently using Internet Explorer 7 or earlier – You must upgrade your browser
* If you're currently using Google Chrome – You must have have Windows 7 or a newer operating system
* If you're currently using Firefox version 26 or earlier – You must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or newer
* If you're currently using Safari – versions older than 7 on OSX 1.9 (Mavericks) – TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are not supported, so you must use Google Chrome for MAC.

Login to Me Too

SueZee
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you! I will look.
Login to Me Too

asher2018
New Community Member

I just want to make sure my system is ok with these new rules in place. When I type in:

https://tlstest.paypal.com the screen says paypal connection Ok. does this mean I do not have to do anything?

I'm not understanding when it says things about https: do I not put that in front of the tlstest to check make sure our system is up to date? Any advice would be great as our programmers are not in this country and our system was programmed about 5 years ago.

elizabeth

Login to Me Too

apg1912
Contributor
Contributor

My website is set up on a shared hosting platform with godaddy. Looking at my SSL certificate with Firefox, it states it is TLS 1.2. However, I fail the Paypal compliance test in that I'm told I'm running an earlier version of TLS. I've spoken to godaddy support who say the server has TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 enabled. They are not prepared to disable the earlier versions of TLS at the moment. So, I am running with TLS 1.2 but Paypal cannot apparently see this because earlier versions of TLS are enabled on the server. I've even read somewhere that Plesk would crash if the earlier versions were turned off. Has anybody else hit this problem of losing Paypal as a payment method and does anyone have any advice about how to get round this?

Login to Me Too

Kidhauler
Contributor
Contributor

How does one make sure of the need to update on a Kindle Fire HDX? I have not been able to find out if PayPal will continue to work on my Kindle.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

You may want to contact Amazon Support and ask if the Kindle browser supports Transport Layer Security (TLS) v1.1 or v1.2 and if not, what are your options.

Login to Me Too

thecaretakerUK
Contributor
Contributor

When I log into my Paypal account, I get the following pop-up page.1.PNG

I also got the email as discussed elsewhere on this forum. As far as I understand, Microsoft Edge browser on Windows 10 is TLS 1.2 compliant by default, yet I am still getting this warning. I logged in to my account using Internet Explorer and I don't get this message. However, Microsoft Edge is my default browser, the one I use on a daily basis.

Is this pop-up message just an error of the page not detecting Microsoft Edge or will I find I am unable to use Microsoft Edge when visiting Paypal in future?

Visiting a website that tests the browsers security in Microsoft Edge it says:  Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is recommended protocol version at the moment.

Login to Me Too

hippiekat68
New Community Member

I have been receiving emails from what looks like PayPal, but skeptical why I would need to do this. The message reads:  Must update web browser by June 30 to continue accessing PayPal.com.

Anybody else getting these? Are they legit. Can't seem to get anyone at PP to connect with.

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

masuk
Contributor
Contributor

Just recieved an email from the paypal regarding the new PCI standards and i was just wondering, if you go to https://tlstest.paypal.com and get the message 'PayPal_Connection_OK' does this mean that the PCI standards have been updated?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.