June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @btmullenix,

I'm sorry for any confusion regarding the requirement to update browsers before June 30. All websites that hold payment data are required to meet the new PCI Security Standard (PCI DSS), which means that outdated web browsers will not be supported. To see the steps for checking to see if your browser will be supported and the steps for updating your web browser if required, please take a look at this article.

To clarify some questions that are posted on this thread - if the first page loads that asks you to log in, it is not necessary to log in. The fact that the page loaded successfully is all that is needed to confirm that your browser will function. If clicking the link to the sandbox site results in a page that fails to load at all, that will be the clue that an update is needed for your browser.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

riverrat86
Contributor
Contributor

what the hell is paypal talking about,saying we must update our browsers by the 30th of june 2018  or what will happen if we don't or don't know how. I think pay pal is trying to delete customers.??

Login to Me Too

mommycott
Contributor
Contributor

I am also getting the same message at the top of my PayPal page once I've signed in.  It is indicating that my browser is not supported and I have to upgrade my browser by June 30th or not be able to access my account.  I followed the link and it says I must be running Safari 7.0 or later. I'm running Safari 11.1 so I feel like I'm seeing this error erroneously.

Login to Me Too

QueenE
Contributor
Contributor

I just got through a very frustrating call with a PayPal CSR that kept telling me to upgrade my browser (when I am not able to upgrade my browser any further than it already is), or to get an app (when I cannot get the newest app). I understand that CSRs are supposed to be empathetic but, to continually call this issue an "inconvenience" is a massive understatement. This is my livelihood. Not an inconvenience.

After consulting these forums, I found out that my browser IS supported. So my question is - why am I seeing a message telling me that my browser will no longer be supported and why can't a CSR tell me that I have nothing to fear when they can see what browsers that I use and when I tell them which exactly which version I am using? 

Don't rely on what a notification/email/or PayPal CSR is telling you. Check to see if your browser is up to date here - https://tlstest.paypal.com/

If you see -

• “PayPal_Connection_OK” your browser is up-to-date then no further action is needed.
  • If you have an outdated browser you’ll see this message: “ERROR! Connection is using TLS version lesser than 1.2. Please use TLS1.2”.

Login to Me Too

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

It says that I'm O.K. with the connection, but that's today.  There's no way of knowing what will happen after June 30th, unless PayPal is simply insane.  I'm getting DIERECT e-mails from them saying I'm non-compliant (not just on my PayPal page) and I can't go any higher than I already am in both my computer and browsers, but the link you sent says that I am.  So now I'm just plain confused.

Login to Me Too

Vic91
New Community Member
I've just tried to update mine and there is no update!! I tried the "sandbox" site to log in that it advises to check... and it doesn't let me log in
Login to Me Too

PT-NH
Contributor
Contributor

I got the email that says "the browser you use IS out of date" - as if they know and telling me... but then it goes on to tell you how to check and if you're OK.  Which I am.....

What a POOR way to communicate !

Login to Me Too

ej6

I just called Customer Service to find out what was going on.  They are telling people to contact their computer's manufacturer to investigate further.  When I tried to explain that it is the software (OS/Security/etc.) NOT the hardware that would have compatibility issues, she hung up on me.  Now there's some Customer Service!!

Login to Me Too

CDub2
New Community Member

They can take a hike, I only use PayPal as a convenience and I don't have to do that. A service provider doesn't need to get snarky about their requirements or they cease to be my service provider.

Login to Me Too

wherrima
New Community Member

Before June 30th, 2018 PayPal is requiring all account users to update their browsers to remain compliant with new security standards. You will not be able to access your PayPal account after June 30th if your browser isn’t updated. Learn how to upgrade your browser.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.