Is this a scam email

Arcticwolfy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi my wife was trying to sell a mobile phone on local Facebook groups for £320 She had someone contact her will to pay £350 which was strange but she ask for cash on pickup. He kept refusing but then said he would transfer her money from his PayPal to her bank account and being daft she gave her details out. When she got his email it was in the spam folder and I checked the email it came from it was from a email I can't post on here but was including this before it <removed> that Gmail part made me think it was a scam. He continued to harass saying PayPal had took his money and unless he showed proof of purchase money wouldn't be released via PayPal.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Arcticwolfy 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment often more than you asked and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Arcticwolfy 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment often more than you asked and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Arcticwolfy
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I thought it was but have to be sure
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.