I got scammed i need help!!

Erik_wong
New Community Member

Hi, 

I sold my laptop because I needed the money to buy something for my parents. A couple of days goes by and someone contacted me saying that he will buy my laptop for 900$usd. It’s my first time using paypal so when I received an email from “paypal” saying that the transaction is pending and all I need to do is send the tracking number. I did that as soon as I could. But the next day, I got another email from paypal saying that the buyer made an error and sent an extra 500$usd, and to receive my money, I had to send him back the money using moneygram. And of course, as stupid as I am, I did it. This is when I knew i got scammed. I woke up this morning, and i receive the same email saying that I have to do it again. Will I be able to get my money back? I tried to report it but I dont have any recent activitys so I can’t.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Erik_wong

Sadly you were scammed, there is nothing paypal can do for you as none of the transaction was done using paypals site.

The emails you received were fake.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Erik_wong
New Community Member

So I won’t be able to get my money back?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Erik_wong

If the scammer is in the same country as you and you have his name and address then you could try private legal action.

Apart from that sadly not.

You could try contacting the postal service that you sent the item with and see if they can stop it from being shipped internationally or to the scammer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.