Fraud, Nigeria

gdowling1992
New Community Member

WATCH OUT!!!
Fraud from 23401 Nigeria.

Have rang so many companies and nothing can be done even if you have insurance.  Never send to Nigeria.  Ever. You lose your money. I have lost 340GBP

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

dizzyhoney
I also had this today, again very convincing, what told me something was off was I knew pending PayPal payments still show on your account, there were none, so I re-read the email from 'PayPal' and then compared it to genuine emails and the inconsistencies were obvious and on second look the punctuation and grammar were not great on the fake. I can see why people get taken in though and its only because there was no way in hell I was posting the phone without having cleared payment otherwise I probably would have been taken in too!! I'm very relieved but also annoyed because I'm having a bad day in general lol
Login to Me Too

Rastie
Contributor
Contributor

Please if you are so kind could you remove the name Nigeria from the title? it is quite racist, there are frauds all over the world, not just in Nigeria. Remove any reference to Nigeria or any african country from all of your posts. lest be polite and not racist. thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rastie

It has nothing to do with rascism, if the SCAMS on this forum are to do with scammers wanting things sent to a Nigerian address then its a Nigerian scam.

If they were in France it would be a French scam, BUT on this forum the most REGULAR scam ongoing (and has been for all the 10 years that I have been on here) originates in Nigeria.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ideoda2

NEVER POST ANYTHING TO NIGERIA!

I posted an ad on Gumtree (UK) selling my smart phone worth £250.

I guy called <removed> got in touch via text then emails saying he is interested in buying my phone and we agreed a price of £230. He asked me to send him a payment request via PayPal, so I did, only then he sent me an email asking me to post the item to his childhood friend to Nigeria to this address:

<removed>

Address: <removed>

City: <removed>

State: <removed>

Zip Code: <removed>

Useless to say I was really **bleep** off thinking I wasted all this time, even though he sent me the full payment, the status was pending until I guess he reports he never received the item, so the payment can be withdrawn (under transaction ID: O4TV44704NJ838813M) Anyway, I got back to him straight away saying there is absolutely NO WAY I will post the item to Nigeria (on Google maps the address is in the middle of nowhere!) what a stupid scam; and to keep a long story short I will not post anything outside UK. I was loud and harsh in my email, which he totally ignored with no reply.

A working day later he emailed me asking why the delay in shipment and he will report me as scam as the item has not yet received! Ha, I thought this is getting ridiculous now. He included a UK phone number in his email which I called straight away and much to my surprise a young guy replied stammering with really bad English and I could barely make him understand to stop harassing me as I won’t send anything to Nigeria. He said OK, he will provide me with a UK address, where I can send the item to.. from this point onwards I have never heard back from him of course.

PayPal, PLEASE if you consider your customers (and your own time dealing with spam-related issues) ban the above guy and make this topic stand out on your website.

Login to Me Too

TwanaPassee
Contributor
Contributor
Was you using the app
Login to Me Too

Austinpoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I recently encountered the same fraudelent activity, asking me to send $150 through western union to an offshore nigerian account, then the money will be given to me. BEWARE, you are never required to pay someone as the seller, its extremely stupid. I fortuntely was able to pick up on this and reported this from the help of friends. 

Login to Me Too

melanie10791

Nearly scammed today so still beware.  Selling iphone on eBay.  This is the 1st time I have ever sold so was unsure how it all worked.  Got message of highest bidder supposedly lived in UK, address was given etc, to send invoice via Paypal which i did.  Then received emails direct to me email address supposedly from eBay and Paypal about pending payments.  Looked very genuine to say the least.  Alarm bells rang however when they said they had paid me an extra £50 to cover postage to Nigeria.  Once I had posted the item and provided the airmail tracking number my funds would be released.  Nice fookin try mate!!!!!  

Have reported to eBay but all very worrying that no one seems to take it very seriously?  This person now has my name, address, phone number and email address off the Paypal invoice.

Login to Me Too

catherinejoy

I wish I had seen these posts before. I have just lost a sony tablet and have no money for it. Was selling it because I am having real cash flow problems. So horrible that people would con you.

Login to Me Too

brettep15
New Community Member

This seriously just happened to me yesterday. It seemed a little fishy, but it was mostly legitimate. He even called me and talked me through the process! I am so happy I looked more into this before sending. These people are horrible, but I just try to remember my friend Karma.....................................

Login to Me Too

letmein52
Contributor
Contributor

WATCH OUT FOR FRAUD FROM THE FOLLOWING EMAIL

<removed>

Name: Luca <removed>

(From Shipping Company)
Name: <removed>
Address: <removed>
City-I<removed>
State-Oyo,
Code-<removed>.
Nigeria.

Usual Scam Tactics, sending Fake Email etc...

Please all beware..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.