Fraud, Nigeria

gdowling1992
New Community Member

WATCH OUT!!!
Fraud from 23401 Nigeria.

Have rang so many companies and nothing can be done even if you have insurance.  Never send to Nigeria.  Ever. You lose your money. I have lost 340GBP

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

Louisa_xo

The Same thing is happening right now to me.. I am selling an Armani watch on eBay and he has sent £300 to my account which says pending. I had a gut feeling something wasn’t right when he sent me a different address to what what on his eBay account. So I decided to google the address he provided me with and that’s how I figured out he is a scammer. What do I do now? He is expecting me to ship the item out tomorrow but doesn’t know I know he is a fraud!! Hello Mate, Sorry for the late responds,It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment via PayPal and have add you the sum of £40 for the postage cost and i also have the payment receipt as a prove,I want it sent to my Cousin for her Birthday Gift,I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address,but i don't know it will be urgent for me to be on a business trip, I've gone for a business trip, here is the delivery address below,I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i might have cause you I want you to ship the item first thing tomorrow morning via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR so that the item will get there as soon as possible, Please wrap the item carefully, write GIFT on the paper. Please use only ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR that start from RU or RZ. JOHN <removed> <removed>. LAGOS STATE 23401 NIGERIA Am really sorry for the inconvenient i might have caused you..... Best Regards.

Login to Me Too

charlie18_8
Contributor
Contributor

They got me too! Unfortunately I had already posted the item before i twigged. Now lost the item and the postage money - £150 down. serves me right for being too trusting i suppose 😞

Does anyone know if there's anything that can be done?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nothing you can do via paypal but surprisingly enough even though i thought it would not be allowed a seller the other day phoned the post office and got their item stopped and returned to them. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TwanaPassee
Contributor
Contributor
Was anyone a victim using the paypal app?!
Login to Me Too

Afzo
Contributor
Contributor

Unlucky, this happened to me and I lost £450 pounds. Although, I did find out that I could stop it by reporting it to the Nigerian Post Office in Nigeria. If you are sending it with tracking information, then you can notify them about the fraudster and they can ship it back to you in The United Kingdom. ]

This is the Website: http://www.nipost.gov.ng/

Just hope this helps and nobody else gets sucked in.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

According to Paypal, the police and some rude person on chat forum here NO .. there is nothing to be done

Login to Me Too

kmichie
New Community Member

I have also just been fraud from Nigeria. I cannot believe it has happened, i have lost an ipod touch and the money for it. I wish there was something that pops up to tell you as the fake paypal emails they were sending were very real like. When i emailed the buyer to say that i wont send it untill i recieve payment he was very convincing and made me feel stupid for not knowing the new rules!! Wish there was a way we could stop this from happening

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Just remember the golden rule.

No funds showing in your paypal account balance and no transaction showing in your paypal account history =  you have not been paid.

Nigerians cannot own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

charlie18_8
Contributor
Contributor

well i certainly wont get caught again, dont think i'll bother trading on e-bay any more either as it seems so badly regulated and no one seems willing to help you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There are experienced sellers like myself on the ebay and paypal boards volunteering help.

Ebay also has a live help option.

As a new seller I only ever sold U.K only until I learnt how things worked.

I also still have my buyer blocks set to reduce scam buyers.

I also read up on buyer protection before I started buying and then seller protection when I took the plunge and started selling.

You have to protect yourself as much as possible and when you do the risks of getting ripped off reduce dramatically.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.