Could this be a fraud attempt?

AnjaKr
Contributor
Contributor

Dear community,

I'd like to turn to you about the following problem:

I have been selling sports equipment online for 200E and he buyer wanted to pay via Paypal so I created an account.

After the buyer said the transaction was made, I recieved an email saying that an instant payment of 330E was made by this person.

However, in order to fully complete this transaction I was given to follow some further instructuons (on my account I didn't see any money) and that the money was on temporary hold for security reasons.
The request was for me to transfer the excess of 130E to this buyers agent via Western Union Office but from my personal bank account and only then they would release full amount of 330E to my Paypal after I've sent the scan of receipt to them.

What would you suggest I do in this case? Should I trust and carry out the transaction or could this be a scam?

I have to know by tomorrow what to do.
Thank you very much for helping!

Anja

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnjaKr

This is a typical scam

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + extra and you have to transfer the surplus via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnjaKr

This is a typical scam

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + extra and you have to transfer the surplus via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AnjaKr
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Thank you very much for this immediate answer!

I was only very concerned because they did send an email threating me with legal actions from ...intlpay... adress and it looked like from Paypal. They threatened that if I don't complete payment within next 5h I will be reported to International Fraud and Corruption agency and have me arrested for practicing a scam. 

And after I answered to this email with my concerns some Richard <removed> answered from same adress that its 100% that I will recieve the money after I make a transaction. They didn't even consider that its Sunday and all offices are closed. And the buyer didn't even want to come to see the equipment, instead he would send an agent to pick it up for him.

However, should I simply ignore all this or take an action so they remove this person from Paypal and prevent him from scaming others?

Thank you again!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnjaKr

Reported to International Fraud and Corruption agency and have me arrested for practicing a scam. 

!. Smiley Very Happy  No such organisation and do you really think that they would arrest you for not going ahead with an online sale.   Smiley Wink

2. Don't bother reporting them, this scam has been ongoing for at least 15 years and I post the above advice at least 6 times per day.

They use hijacked or anonymous email addresses and work out of internet cafes usually in Africa somewhere.

3. None of the transaction is done using Paypals site so nothing Paypal can do about it. The scam works with 'spoof' emails that 'look' as if they are from Paypal when they are not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AnjaKr
Contributor
Contributor

😄 Yes, okay haha.

Thank you again!

Just wanted to make sure because I'm new to Paypal.

So thank you for all your help! Appreciated!

Bests,

Anja.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnjaKr

Your very welcome, its the main reason I give up my time to help on here, to help stop the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.