Possible scam? Letter from PayPal Credit saying my account is overdue - I don't have an account!

bluejonny

HI Everyone

I got a letter today from "Da*** Q**nn, Collections Manager" at PayPal Credit saying my balance of over 682GBP is now overdue and that I need to pay now. There's a freephone number on the letter, but when I call it a recorded voice says "this number is unobtainable". 

Sadly, I don't have PayPal credit account. I only use PayPal to use my Debit card so my account is always zero. I pressed the credit button within my PayPal account and it just comes up with the typcal "apply now" splash pages. That says at least my legit account is not compromised. 

Is this legit or is this a scam? It all looks too good to be a scam, but I guess the more sophisticated the more believable. 

Cheers

Bluejonny

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Mlc100
Contributor
Contributor

I have a feeling it's a scam and my husband fell for it and handed over £215 of our hard earned money. I have been trying to get to the bottom of it through our bank too.

Login to Me Too

Simon35
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same letter today, most convincing. I called Paypal (not using the the number on the letter) and they said they never send letters by post, their only contact form is Email or Text.

I called the number on the letter out of curiosity and sure enough it sounds like you are getting through to Paypal.

Why, after all this time BT haven't pulled this number is beyond me, and do Paypal take security as seriously as they say?

They really were not interested in the contents of the letter when I spoke with them, they just said that it will be a scam as they don't send letters.

I feel really uncomfortable about this as people will fall for this, it's too convincing, even the envelope in which it arrived.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Simon35 and welcome, 

Thanks for posting this here as it may help other members that receive a similar letter. I am sorry if you were made to feel that the information you were sharing was not important. If you still have the letter and have the time could you email it to us to spoof@paypal.com so our team can take a look at it 

Thanks again for sharing this, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Simon35
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Paula

I have scanned the letters and emailed them to the address mentioned.

Kind regards

Simon

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Thank you Simon. Appreciate your efforts on this. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

RobE2
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same letter today, signed by the same person: I also don't have a credit account! Sent copies of the letter and an account summary to Paypals "spoof" e mail address. After receiving the first letter I also got a text telling me my account would be limited.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.