Connecting a USD bank account to a Canadian Paypal account

kalongoodrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a Canadian business Paypal account, which can invoice in either CAD and USD. I'd like to link a US bank account to be the recipient of my USD payments, but I'm learning that only Canadian bank accounts can be linked to a Canadian Paypal account.

Anybody know a way around/through this so that I can have access to the USD funds received into this Paypal account without having to convert to CAD?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kalongoodrich 

If it is an actual US bank account, not a Canadian bank that holds USD, then call PayPal customer service to for assistance:

Contact customer service for assistance:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Don't quote me but I have a feeling that you might have to be US citizen. PayPal is US company so the ability to add US banks is for expatriates or citizens working outside US could only add it but ask CS to be sure.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

terrisampson
Contributor
Contributor
This solution came from Millionendeavour dot com under General Finance from Februaru 2018: 'Luckily, there is a work around for this. Here are the steps to transferring USD from Paypal into a Canadian bank: Step 1: Create a US Based Account with RBC The first step is to go to your local RBC bank and ask to create a US Based Account in Georgia. This account is different than your Canadian USD Account as this is an account in an actual US bank. There are no other banks that allow Canadians to have a bank account in the US other than RBC. Step 2: Create a Canadian USD Account with RBC After you have a US Georgia checking account, you will also need a Canadian USD account. Having this account allows you to transfer your US dollars from your Georgia account to your Canadian USD account. Step 3: Link your RBC Georgia (US based) account to your Canadian USD account online Next, you would need to link the two accounts online. This gives you the convenience to manage both accounts when you sign on to do online banking with RBC. If you are unsure how to do this, talk to someone from RBC. They’ll gladly walk you through this step. You will be able to transfer USD between these two accounts with ease and all from your RBC online banking. Step 4: Add your RBC Georgia (US based) account into Paypal The final step is to add your RBC Georgia account into Paypal. Be sure to select US for location. You will also be able to find your routing and account number from your online banking account. Paypal will deposit two small amounts into your RBC Georgia account within a couple of days. Once you see those small deposits, use them to verify your account. That’s it! You are now able to transfer USD to your RBC Georgia account from Paypal. From there, if you decide to, you can just log in to your RBC online banking account and transfer your USD in your Georgia account to your Canadian USD account. Now, the USD that you earn from Paypal will be in your Canadian bank. Should you decide, you can go to your local bank and withdraw your hard earned US Dollars!' Also as I checked after posting this, it looks now like you can do this online from RBC as well. So 2 ways to do this.
Login to Me Too

Purakane
New Community Member

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. We've been losing hundreds of dollars in the past 2 years to fees and charges. I already had my RBC Georgia account link to my Canadian account so it went very smoothly. This is a great solution for people living in Canada wanting to send or receive US dollars without 3% or 6% fees. Thanks again. You Rock!!

Login to Me Too

RebeccaBL
Contributor
Contributor

I went through asking customer services. it is clear that banks in the US is allowed where a credit or debit card is use for transferring funds.Theres no other way, outside countries can transfer money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.