Withdraws to Credit Card are now forced to be currency exchanged by PayPal.

mlc_al
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

On 25 September 2019 i did a funds withdraw from PayPal account to my Credit card, as usual.
During this withdraw of 1900 GBP, PayPal forced me to do the withdraw in ALL, instead of GBP (the currency i choose to withdraw) and use PayPal currency conversion rate instead of card issuer’s conversion rate: I basically did not give me an option to choose between PayPal  currency conversion rate or card issuer’s conversion rate. 
I am a merchant making large amounts of withdraws in GBP and EUR currency daily, and being forced to use PayPal's conversion rate is costing me huge loss, daily.
Only this last withdraw of 1900 GBP cost me the loss of 65GBP.
I tried again today, 27 September 2019, to make a withdraw, and it is still forcing me to withdraw to my local currency (ALL currency since I am based in Albania).

This change was introduced by PayPal just a few days ago. On September 22nd i did a withdraw directly to GBP currency, with no problems at all. 

I need to note that my wife's PayPal is not yet affected by this change (Thank God).

Needless to say that this will have also legal impact for Paypal, since this policy forces buyers to use Paypal's currency exchange rate (which is around 4% worse than market's average) , instead of their bank's rate.
Anyone that has any further information on this new policy by PayPal would be really helpfull. 
Thank you in advance,

mlc_al

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

mlc_al
Contributor
Contributor

Actually i found a solution to avoid the crazy PayPal exchange fees.
I asked PayPal to change the currency label on my Credit Card from Euro to GBP. 
This way I can withdraw my GBP balance to my GBP labeled card without exchanging money. 
Actually my credit card is in EUR currency so my card issuer will do the currency exchange for me (much better than PayPal rates). 
 This solution is working great atm, until PayPal finds another way to force us into currency exchange again 😉

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mlc_al 

If you don't agree, you can always close your account as it says, first thing, in the policy update.

Or, you can just charge or invoice in your home currency (if possible) and let the senders/buyers deal with conversion fee/exchange rate on their end and you received the amount you want in your home currency, otherwise, its time to look for another payment processor. 

https://www.paypal.com/al/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_AL

Changes to PayPal Legal Agreements

PayPal is changing some of its Legal Agreements with effect from 23 September 2019 (“Effective Date”). We’ve created this policy update to help you understand the changes. By continuing to use the PayPal Services after the Effective Date, you are agreeing to the changes. If you do not agree to the changes, you must close your account or cease using the PayPal Services prior to the Effective Date.

Updates to the User Agreement for PayPal Services – Effective Date: 23 September 2019

We’re making the following substantive changes to our terms:

• Exhibit A – Fees:  We are changing the Currency Conversion Fees applied to transactions that involve a PayPal currency conversion. These Fees are set out in the sub-section on “Currency Conversion” in section 4 “Additional Fees”.

The updated Fees are as set out below:

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Iceland, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Ukraine. (For other countries see polices url above.)

Currency Conversion that occurs when sending a Personal or a Commercial Payment or receiving a refund beyond 1 day of the date of the original payment: 4.0%

Currency conversion that occurs when receiving other payments (including Mass Payments or Payouts), withdrawing funds to your local bank account (if your PayPal balance is held in a currency other than your local currency, adding funds from a bank account to your PayPal Account or when transferring funds between your PayPal balances held in different currencies (as applicable): 3.0%

Also:

"Where a currency conversion is required, it will be completed at the transaction exchange rate we set for the relevant currency exchange. The transaction exchange rate is adjusted regularly and includes a Currency Conversion Fee applied and retained by us on a base exchange rate to form the rate applicable to your conversion. The base exchange rate is based on rates within the wholesale currency markets on the conversion day or the prior business day; or, if required by law or regulation, set at the relevant government reference rate(s). The transaction exchange rate applicable to your conversion may be applied immediately and without notice to you. You may have the option (depending on the country/region you are residing in and the type of funding source) to Opt Out of currency conversion before you complete the transaction by selecting Other Conversion options on the Review Your Information page during checkout.

Where a currency conversion is offered by PayPal at the point of sale, you will be shown the exchange rate that will be applied to the transaction before you proceed with authorizing the payment transaction. By proceeding with your authorization of the payment transaction you are agreeing to the currency conversion on the basis of the exchange rate. Where a currency conversion is offered at the point of sale by the Merchant, not by PayPal, and you choose to authorize the payment transaction on the basis of the Merchant’s exchange rate and charges, PayPal has no liability to you for that currency conversion.

Where your payment is funded by a Debit or Credit Card and involves a currency conversion by PayPal, you consent to and authorize PayPal to convert the currency in place of your Credit or Debit card issuer."

Also see:

5. Withdrawing Money.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

mlc_al
Contributor
Contributor

Actually i found a solution to avoid the crazy PayPal exchange fees.
I asked PayPal to change the currency label on my Credit Card from Euro to GBP. 
This way I can withdraw my GBP balance to my GBP labeled card without exchanging money. 
Actually my credit card is in EUR currency so my card issuer will do the currency exchange for me (much better than PayPal rates). 
 This solution is working great atm, until PayPal finds another way to force us into currency exchange again 😉

Login to Me Too

CHannigan
New Community Member
This new exchange rate application by PayPal rather than my card issuer happened to me for the first time yesterday! I purchase online from Stg£ sites regularly - the difference in the £/€ rate applied by PayPal was 4% less than my card issuer - it’s immoral in my opinion - but at least through the comments below I now know what happened! Thanks for that!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.