Unable to pay using linked bank account

Gian800
Contributor
Contributor

I've linked my bank account to my PayPal while waiting to get the bank's debit card, and was able to pay using it without any issue, until it started asking me to add a payment option whenever I try to send money. When trying to add a payment option, I only get to choose between card types, despite having my bank already linked.
The issue started without any evident cause as I had already paid other people in the same day. The payments always went through, so it's not caused by a failed transfer.
I'm able to make payments using my bank outside of PayPal.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gian800 

It may be asking for a card for back up.

Some sites may not accept bank payments unless it is backed up with card or it could be a funding risk management/security trigger for PayPal or the checkout system/merchant wants to set up a billing agreement with a back up payment method (card) for streamlined checkout experience on future purchases.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Gian800
Contributor
Contributor

"it could be a funding risk management/security trigger for PayPal"
After looking around the forum for some more, I think that's what's happening. I've seen this reply also 
"After calling Paypal today, it appears that the problem is associated to their risk algorithm. Becuase the direct debit mandate takes some time to process, Paypal calculates a certain risk factor per customer to ensure due payment. When you cross your risk threshhold in outstanding payments, Paypal introduces this credit card option until your bank has made the transfer to Paypal. "
So if this is the case, how long will it take for them to let me pay again using my bank?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.